Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easy Ice cream Cuisinart Maker >

Easy Ice cream Cuisinart Maker

Easy Ice cream Cuisinart Maker

Old 01-09-2020, 05:16 AM

Default Easy Ice cream Cuisinart Maker

I served this often at the beginning of my low-carb diet. I know it can't be healthy to eat everyday.,,But I could...

Splenda Ice Cream

2 cups half-n-half
1/2 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together -pour into Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker
Old 01-09-2020, 06:27 AM

I use our Cuisinart Ice Cream maker on a daily basis. DH must have his homemade Ice Cream or Sorbet every day. I have a second tub so they are in the freezer two at a time and I try to keep at least 2 gal of Ice Cream made up at a time. Lord forbid I ever run out!
Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I use our Cuisinart Ice Cream maker on a daily basis. DH must have his homemade Ice Cream or Sorbet every day. I have a second tub so they are in the freezer two at a time and I try to keep at least 2 gal of Ice Cream made up at a time. Lord forbid I ever run out!
what is the secret to having ice cream that doesn’t get frozen solid like a rock? I can make nice ice cream which if we eat it right then is wonderful. But freezing causes the consistency to change. It’s never like the first day again.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:13 AM

Stitchnripper- I make a lot of frozen yogurt & ice creams too. All the reading I've done for making them suggest 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of vodka added to the machine just before it is finished freezing the mixture. I have tried it & the vodka doesn't affect the taste but does seem to inhibit any ice crystals from forming & keeps it slightly soft.. I will also put glad wrap right in top of the ice-cream & pat down snuggly to eliminate air. Go one step further as well & store near the back of the freezer so that it doesn't warm up every time the door is opened. All in all- that helps my treats stay fresh & yummy with out a stale taste or hardness. I do admit though that it usually doesn't last long enough to form the crystals!!!
Might be worth a try even is you need to 'borrow a teaspoon' of vodka from a neighbor!!! That ought to get them wondering!!!
King Arthur flour had a special container for storing ice cream, but don't know if they still do.
Good luck
sewverybusy1
Old 01-12-2020, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewverybusy1 View Post
Stitchnripper- I make a lot of frozen yogurt & ice creams too. All the reading I've done for making them suggest 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of vodka added to the machine just before it is finished freezing the mixture. I have tried it & the vodka doesn't affect the taste but does seem to inhibit any ice crystals from forming & keeps it slightly soft.. I will also put glad wrap right in top of the ice-cream & pat down snuggly to eliminate air. Go one step further as well & store near the back of the freezer so that it doesn't warm up every time the door is opened. All in all- that helps my treats stay fresh & yummy with out a stale taste or hardness. I do admit though that it usually doesn't last long enough to form the crystals!!!
Might be worth a try even is you need to 'borrow a teaspoon' of vodka from a neighbor!!! That ought to get them wondering!!!
King Arthur flour had a special container for storing ice cream, but don't know if they still do.
Good luck
sewverybusy1
thanks for the help! I tried that once with whipoed cream flavor vodka and it didn’t help all that much. Does it have to be ice cream with sugar vs alternative sweetener? No need for me to borrow vodka! I enjoy it in my “pink drink” (cosmopolitan) now and then!!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I have the very same ice cream maker. I use to use it a lot when the kids were home. We used heavy cream, half and half, sugar, vanilla, and pureed fruit. Now I buy Talenti gelato for me. DH likes Bryer's vanilla in the small cups.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:31 AM

Stitchnripper- sorry for the delay. We have been without internet since early Saturday due to that lovely nationwide storm. Just got back online about an hour ago. As to your question about the vodka- I have used the plain stuff- nothing costly or fancy (think Ripple). It seems to help & doesn't flavor the product. I must admit though that other than the 'finish freezing' in the deep freeze I rarely have any left to store. When I do- I add the vodka, pack tight in a container & lay glad wrap or parchment paper tightly to the top of the ice cream, then use container cover to do the final seal. Works for me anyway. I have not tried it with sugar substitutes so can not address that issue. Good luck & happy taste testing to see what will work for you.
sewverybusy1
Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 AM

Glad I found this thread. We have the same ice cream maker and used it a lot the first summer. Then it sort of got relegated to the back of the utility room when the freezer was too full to find a spot for it. I'm definitely going to try aashley333's 3 ingredient version, and also Stitchenripper's suggestion of adding vodka (or maybe kahlua would work?). We eat entirely too much ice cream around here. I buy the Carb Smart version for myself, but don't like their chocolate, which would normally be my first choice. Also, the darned stuff has gotten ridiculously expensive. Making my own might not save money, but at least the list of ingredients isn't a yard long, and it definitely tastes better. Vanilla ice cream is a great incentive for us to eat more blueberries, a superfood. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

My kids loved the ice cream mix that came in a bag. They made gallons of the stuff during the summer. Same ingredients as the bought ice cream but at least I knew they were using the good cream and milk. They came up with some interesting ingredients to add. The Cuisinart was put to the test and still working fine after a few years with teens.