Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easy recipes needed >

Easy recipes needed

Easy recipes needed

Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the web. I love my crock pot.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 AM

Breakfast items for supper is a good choice for little ones and they are quick and easy to prepare. Scrambled eggs(with or without cheese), french toast, etc are nutritious(sp?) and children usually like them. He could have too or do his own thing like take out. Whenever he makes something from scratch he should make a big batch and freeze half so in the future he has to just heat a meal.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 AM

The fix it and forget it cookbooks have many really good recipes. They usually are made from everyday items that we might all have in our pantries.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Check the 2010 Better Homes and Gardens Crockpot cookbook. There are many easy recipes in it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 AM

This is a recipe that I use for a complete crockpot meal with the exception of a salad, very filling and good for you. Note that I use different type of meat and beans in the making:

Black eyed Peas or Bean Stew

Ingredients
1 cup butter
2 onions, sliced into thin slivers
3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
(May also use turkey, chicken ,ham or a combination of 2 or more)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, sliced, or to taste
3 (16 ounce) packages frozen black-eyed peas
(may substitute any kind of dried beans)

To give this stew a little heat add some Lousiana Hot Sauce. With Black Eyed Peas, a good luck dish for the New Year.
Directions
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir the onions in the melted butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the juices have cooked away, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and peas; pour in enough water to cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat until the peas change color and are tender and hot, and almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour.

Nutritional Information 

Originally Posted by ksjohn
I have a friend who is a single father to a 2 and 3 year old. He works from 9am to 5pm and when he gets home he is just so tired. Anyone have any crockpot recipes or quick meal recipes ? I stop in to visit a few times a week and have noticed they have had Mac n cheese and hotdogs. He is a 200+ pound man I dont think he is going to be as happy as the kids eating the same thing several times a week...lol..I bought him a crockpot for christmas and he thought it was the best thing since buttered toast...lol..i have a few recipes scaled down for him ...anyone willing to help out? Thank You
Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Boil some pasta noodles. When tender, add a can of boned white meat chicken and a can of cream of chicken soup. Real easy and great dish.

You can also boil pasta noodles and add cooked ground beef and a package of beef gravy.

Fix a box of macaroni and cheese. When done, take the little can of ham and cut up in the macaroni and cheese.

Many times I opened a couple cans of Northern beans and heated them. Then added cut up ham to them.

Some times I added a drained can of corn, peas or green beans to these dishes so the kids would get vegetables also.

These are a few I used when I was a working single mom with a hungry family and no energy.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Sour Cream Salsa Chicken - it's our favorite and easy to make (not sure how his kids will like it):

Ingredients

* 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
* 1 cup salsa
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1/4 cup light sour cream

Method

Spray the crock pot with cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with Taco Seasoning. Top with salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot. Place about 2 T cornstarch in a small amount of water. Stir well. Stir the cornstarch mixture into salsa sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup of sour cream.

NOTE: We don't add the cornstarch or the sour cream. We put ours over rice or in tortillas with shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream.

We've also had it just plain with mashed potatoes.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM

If I cook a ham, I just wash it and throw it in until it is done. With a chicken, turkey breast or fresh Boston butt, I salt with Kosher salt, put 1/2 cup of water in crock pot and cook until done. The juice on all of these are great to use as seasonings. These can be turned on low and left all day,.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM

Just got this from my sister. Place a pork tenderloin in the crockpot and pour in a bottle of Italian dressing. Cook until pork is done and tender.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:22 AM

I use to teach independent living skills to a young lady who was my room mate for a season. One thing I had her do was buy meat in bulk on sale. Make all the hamburger up as a meat loaf, do not add the onions. Then patty some, make and freeze meat loaf, add some into zip lock bag for speghetti or? / chicken, buy large packs, BOIL till alomost done. freeze enough for a meal, you can put some in over with BBQ sauce for different flavor. I taught her to do the cooking on her days off work, cook enough to last her work week. This gentleman could maybe do the same. You can freeze speghetti, (great) so he gets home take from freezer, microwave, eat. Most people are to tired to cook after work, (single especially) he has two little ones, So why cook and work, cook on days off. Just an idea, My little gal lost 40 lbs this way. She also used the chicken in stir fry, guess everyone has something that may help lol.... Buy and cook a turkey (in a bag) (days off) freeze for meat....? Blessings