Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Ever heard of "Wet" dressing? >

Ever heard of "Wet" dressing?

Ever heard of "Wet" dressing?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 PM

My late SIL's mother made something she called wet dressing. I had some decades ago and didn't dislike it. It was a lot of sautéed onions placed all around the bird and baked.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:06 PM

Dressing, stuffing etc. is so individual to taste on texture and seasonings. I think for creamy that you are basically making a savory custard that is seasoned for the meat you are are roasting. Therefore, you would add milk or cream and beaten eggs. You will want the bread soaked as in a bread pudding in the mixture and watch it so it doesn’t get too dry.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:07 PM

Some people add roasted or sautéed veggies for flavor: celery, onions, even shredded carrot.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 AM

I don't stuff the bird with bread dressing. I use a lemon, onion cut to fit, celery, and herbs of Provence. When bird is done we scoop out the filling and toss. My mother used bread stuffing and I didn't care for it but her dressing in the pan was amazing. I try to replicate that every year. She used quite a few eggs along with the broth and seasoning in the cornbread dressing.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I do my bread dressing in a roasting pan in the oven. The bread pieces are left out overnight to dry in a big bowl. The next day, when the turkey goes in the oven, the neck, giblets liver, heart are put in saucepan on top of the stove with water to simmer. Poultry seasoning is added to the bread pieces to taste with salt and pepper.
In another saucepan, mixed frozen vegetable, cubed potatoes and chopped onion simmer until the potatoes are slightly tender. The bread pieces get several spoons of butter on top and the hot vegatables are spooned over with a slotted spoon. I add enough of the stock from the giblet saucepan until the bread dressing is moist but not soggy. If I need more liquid, I use some from the vegetable saucepan. It goes into the roasting pan for about an hour to get heated through and the potatoes to be tender.
I had to look to see who posted this cause I thought I did. Except for just a few things, we do things very similarly. ��