Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fall-Apart Pork Stew >

Fall-Apart Pork Stew

Fall-Apart Pork Stew

Old 11-02-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Fall-Apart Pork Stew

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16...lctg=158319407

I made this yesterday for Supper. It turned out to be so delicious. I played around a bit with the spices for the marinade, such as used half the cinnamon and nutmeg, didn't have any parsley so I substituted Cilantro and only used half what was called for. Since we both don't care for Butter beans (Lima beans) I did another sub and added Pearl Barley instead, I cooked the barley in a separate pan then spooned about 2/3 of it into the stew. I suspect I will need to add a bit more broth when I warm it up today for supper. Oh, and the spinach I bought one of those pre packaged plastic tubs of it and put half in with the meat and the other half in the stew, it was perfect.
From what I read in the comment section making the recipe as written it was a bit spicy. I omitted the red pepper flakes. The stew still had a bit of a bite with all the spices that were in the marinade. Another thing I did was I put the liquid from cooking the meat in a measuring cup and let it settle then skimmed of the liquid itself and left all the solid spices in the cup.
I plan on making this again next week to take over to our two sons hand their families.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:53 AM

OOoohhh...that sounds wonderful! I love spicy pork dishes. I like the idea of the pearl barley. You could add cannellini beans instead too.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:29 PM

I saw that recipe, too and thought it sounded good. Glad to hear you liked it. Would you think it could work in a slow cooker?
Old 11-02-2022, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the link.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I saw that recipe, too and thought it sounded good. Glad to hear you liked it. Would you think it could work in a slow cooker?
You probably could, just time it when you add the veggies. Brown the meat first either under the broiler or in a skillet. Saute the onions,celery and mushrooms, make the roux in a separate small skillet then add to the onion/celery, mushrooms. I would add the squash about 45 minutes before serving so they don't get all mushy.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:55 PM

Thanks, Chasing Hawk. I may give it a try.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:24 AM

This sounds really yummy and whole pork loin is on sale this week. I think one could easily make whatever veggies one wanted, on the side, instead of cooking them in the stew. I have done that with beef stew, so that the veggies don't disintegrate.