Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much! >

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Old 12-03-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I grew up eating what was grown or killed. We had chickens and the swapped eggs for milk. We had freezer full of venison, duck, squirrel. fish, quail, and turkey. The garden was large and we grew everything . We had apple and peach trees, wild plums and berries patches were plentiful. It was a lot of hard work for the adults . The only thing needed from the grocery store were the basics. Most of my friends at school grew up this way too. I remember one teacher in high school told another teacher she could pick out all the rural kids by how healthy and energetic we were compared to the city kids.
I didn't grow up like that. I grew up in a suburb of L.A. But, once I left home at 17 and moved to the country, I learned to raise animals, plant an orchard and grow our own veggies. I love that our food is fresh, our water is clean and that we have control over how our animals are raised. However, I do hate butchering. We're getting ready to kill some young roosters and I think that I've talked my son-in-law to help, so I don't have to do much this time. Fingers crossed.

BTW...the 2022 seed catalogs just came out! That's a happy day at our house.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:31 AM

General Mills makes 2.1 Billion dollars a year in profit. CEO makes 16 Million dollars a year. They are raising their cereal prices by 20% and blaming it on inflation.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:44 AM

gotta keep the share holders and the CEO happy. Do they eat cereal for breakfast?
Old 12-06-2021, 11:16 AM

I want to buy a roasting chicken for Boxing Day dinner. $24.00 for a decent sized one for 5 people. Needless to say, I left the store without a chicken. You wouldn't pay that for boneless breast, why am I paying it for a whole chicken?

Watson
Old 12-06-2021, 12:50 PM

yep. It is getting harder to budget. I had a 1.8 pound roast for the past few days. I was thinking as I was eating the last piece that maybe I should start eating half of the portion I really do to make it go further. Thinking of adding in more pinto beans and the like in. It is not just the food, but property taxes, mine are going up 35% in one year. I know the tax cuts meant less aid to the states. yep. I sure did not benefit from those tax cuts on the federal level. I have been retired for 10 plus years and thought after working 40 some years in good paying job and being careful with my money, that I would be fine in retirement. But it is getting a bit tougher as prices of everything have increased so much.
On an up note, I was able to grow a rather impressive stash during my working years including thread and sewing machines. So I am good there and am finding it was a really good investment as most of the fabric was good quality at half the price it is now.

Last edited by sewingpup; 12-06-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I rarely go grocery shopping because I hate it and my husband loves it so he goes. However, today we went to Costco. I couldn't believe how expensive things are getting. Yikes! Seems like everything was high.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Our gas bill was over $250 this last month and it hasn't been very cold at all! Husband said the price of natural gas has gone up Our electric and water bill went down a little though.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 AM

I know...I might be beating a dead horse here, but try going meatless. It's much cheaper and still pretty tasty.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I rarely go grocery shopping because I hate it and my husband loves it so he goes. However, today we went to Costco. I couldn't believe how expensive things are getting. Yikes! Seems like everything was high.
We used to call Costco the "$200 store" because we could never get out of there for under that. Now, I think that it's more like the, "$500 store." However, I did use my dau's card yesterday to buy gas. I saved 10 cents/gallon. I didn't go into the store, though...too financially dangerous!
Old 12-07-2021, 09:35 AM

We live close enough and go often enough that our thing is $100. Since Covid they've put in some self checkout and express checkers and it makes it easier to zip in and out.

But we plan to go at off times, like 3:00 pm mid-week. There is no just running in and out on weekends!

We have a growing list of things for this week. Laundry soap is a big one. We do have paper towels, TP, and dog food, but there are a lot of little things on the list -- expecting to be in the $200 range.

I'm a big believer in the Rotisserie Chicken and the hot dog at the food court on the way out as being great cheap deals... I'm still missing the kraut, but I'm glad the condiments are back out.