Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much! >

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Old 11-30-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
How much each of us eat out is largely a generational thing and only partly on cost. My son's generation eats out a lot... but in his household he does more cooking than his wife who believes her mom is the best cook ever and never took time to learn, only to appreciate!

Most couples work out a division of labour that suits the relationship. Thankfully gender doesn’t have to determine the role.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Most couples work out a division of labour that suits the relationship. Thankfully gender doesn’t have to determine the role.
DH and I have done just that. We seem to fit/follow the pink/blue roles. That, however is by choice, in that I certainly can perform most blue roles. I was changing my own oil in high school. I can mow lawns, snow blow, and run a chain saw. I just chose not to. DH can do household chores, but loves the garage and outdoors. My sons were raised early on to do their own laundry, room clean-up, and were often asked to vacuum and sweep. Both are really good cooks also. If something needs to be done we just do it.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Blue skills are usually considered for boys to learn as in household repairs, car maint. A few but not many girls have an interest in those. Pink is usually for girls to learn like, sitting tableware, decorating, A few but not many boys have an interest in those. Cooking, cleaning, budgeting, child care, and providing should be learned by both.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I think it is useful/helpful to know what each person in a household will usually do. I also think it is useful/helpful to know - or at least be aware of - what the other people do.

I know of some families that when dear old dad died, dear old mom did not have a clue about finances.

Ours has fallen into a more or less "pink and blue" division of labor - but I have no great desire to mow lawn and he has no great desire to sew.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:29 PM

We both used to work on the car and cut and stack wood for the woodstove. Both cooked. Both did laundry. I taught DH to sew and we made quilts together for years. Most importantly, we took care of finances together, and when he passed, I wasn't a helpless widow. I even do my own taxes as we did that together too.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Blue skills are usually considered for boys to learn as in household repairs, car maint. A few but not many girls have an interest in those. Pink is usually for girls to learn like, sitting tableware, decorating, A few but not many boys have an interest in those. Cooking, cleaning, budgeting, child care, and providing should be learned by both.
ahhh, now I understand. I think nowadays all kids should learn all skills so that they can be independent, well rounded and self sufficient. I don’t believe in gender specific roles.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I do believe in gender specific roles but not that everyone has to stay in those roles. I don't want to do finances, work on the car, use shop tools. So why should I learn? As a child I had to help my brothers do 'boy work' and didn't like it one bit. My brothers washed dishes and cook meals and hated it but they could do it. They had to learn to crochet to make fishing nets and they were okay with that. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-30-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Talking

My Mom was a wonderful cook but didn't want anyone in the kitchen with her. I have 2 brothers and 1 sister. My brothers are fabulous cooks, my sister and me? So-so at best. But my husband and 2 of my 3 sons are also fabulous cooks. It still cracks me up how my brothers are such good cooks and our Dad never boiled water haha

One big problem I have with gender specific roles (I have many) is I always loved baseball and when I was little girls just didn't do that. No fair!!
To this very day I watch Major League baseball and wish I could have been a player!!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 12-01-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:56 AM

I might be off topic here...the conversation has taken a different turn...I'll chime in anyway.

Coffee savings: Lavazza Coffee is a really good Italian brew and is served in 5-star hotels around the world. It has been on sale for a few months now at our local Safeway for only $4.99/12 oz bag. Sometimes they even offer a buy one get one free! It comes in different roasted varieties and it's usually located on the top shelf, away from the more popular brands. I think that they are using these discounted prices to break into the US market. Look for it in your store.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I do believe in gender specific roles but not that everyone has to stay in those roles. I don't want to do finances, work on the car, use shop tools. So why should I learn? As a child I had to help my brothers do 'boy work' and didn't like it one bit. My brothers washed dishes and cook meals and hated it but they could do it. They had to learn to crochet to make fishing nets and they were okay with that. LOL
Just a suggestion to at least learn a little bit about your finances. I have seen some widows who did not really struggle after their husbands passed away or had a stroke. Hope that doesn't happen and perhaps you have somebody that handles them for you. Cars can be towed and brought to mechanics, and you probably will not need to use the shop tools although being able to use a screw driver and hammer does come in handy.