Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much! >

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Old 10-16-2021, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
I don’t always soak my beans overnight. Instead I will do a hard boil for about two minutes, drain and rinse, then cook as usual.
this is my preferred method too. I cook them in my Instant Pot so I do t have to decide a day ahead. Boil in the Instant Pot on sauté, let sit a couple minutes, drain and do the next steps.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I went shopping this morning at local grocery store. No name brand ground coffee but some house brand. Chicken was plentiful and other meats but has gone up in price. Cereal aisle was sparse but Kellogg has a strike going now. Cheese low in stock except for the deli dept. cheese. Spice and herb shelf was very low. And eggs were low stocked except for the organic ones. Bananas were .69 lb. I plan to go to a larger chain grocery store this afternoon.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:22 PM

'I also cook from scratch, all healthy food. I also keep a supply and watch for good sales then buy more for our stash. We also make soup and keep in the freezer in serving size for our family. This day mothers don't teach kids basic in cooking and keeping a house clean, and don't have chores to keep them busy.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jothesewer2 View Post
'I also cook from scratch, all healthy food. I also keep a supply and watch for good sales then buy more for our stash. We also make soup and keep in the freezer in serving size for our family. This day mothers don't teach kids basic in cooking and keeping a house clean, and don't have chores to keep them busy.
I think in some cases that is true but too wide a swath if you get my drift. I taught mine and all 3 grands know their way around a kitchen and laundry. Sometimes fathers are better at some things.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I think in some cases that is true but too wide a swath if you get my drift. I taught mine and all 3 grands know their way around a kitchen and laundry. Sometimes fathers are better at some things.

Yes, must be a regional thing. Where I live most families have moved on from pink jobs and blue jobs. It’s no longer the mother who is solely responsible for teaching/looking after the kids. I have two adults sons, 6 grandkids and they all pitch in with housework, cooking etc. My younger son is the main cook in their family, DIL doesn’t enjoy cooking, so that has been modelled to their kids. He learned how to make meals for the family when he was in high school . We wanted our sons to be self sufficient.

My other son likes to cook but his wife does too so they share the duties. One of the 14 year old twins (boys) loves to sew. He does most of the baking for their school lunches.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:09 AM

back in the day (50's and 60's) we did the blue and pink thing. My sister and I did most of the housework, cooking, dishes, gardening, canning, washing produce from the garden. My brothers did most of the lawn mowing, digging gardens, chopping and sawing wood, hauling it in, helping with the oil changes, etc. However, my parents believed in cross training so yep, by the time we were in high school, I could chop wood, use a swede say, change a tire, haul in the wood and my brother's could do the laundry, iron, cook, and clean the toilet. When I went to college, I could not believe the young adults there that did not know how to do laundry, cook them selve an egg, and figure out a budget. My conclusion to this was if your kids can't take care of themselves and do basic tasks by the time they leave the nest, they have failed as a parent no matter how good the kids' "self esteem" is. Oh, and my parents also taught us that other people sometimes know more than we did and our job was to figure that out and maybe change our views if warranted.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

The blue and pink chores have their place in everyday life but each child should know basic skills in the kitchen and the garage.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:10 AM

How much each of us eat out is largely a generational thing and only partly on cost. My son's generation eats out a lot... but in his household he does more cooking than his wife who believes her mom is the best cook ever and never took time to learn, only to appreciate!
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The blue and pink chores have their place in everyday life but…..
I’m not understanding. Explain, please.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:50 AM

Double post.

Last edited by JanieW; 11-30-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Double post