Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much! >

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Food prices are increasing. Too fast and too much!

Old 09-25-2021, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
We like black bean burgers. They are tasty and economical. If you dry the cook beans in the oven for about 15 min first, it makes a firmer burger. I has the same protein as ground beef and really cut my grocery budget when I needed to scrimp when the kids were little. We all liked them so I kept making them.
Thanks for the tip about drying out the beans first. Good idea!
Old 10-04-2021, 09:56 AM

I pack my granddaughter's lunch. She likes kiwi and I put 2 kiwi in her lunch every day. They went from 34 cents each to 50 cents each in a week's time.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:53 AM

Yikes, even the bananas at my local target when from 19 to 25 cents!
Old 10-09-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Yikes, even the bananas at my local target when from 19 to 25 cents!
Bananas are 50 cents a piece at my store. Augh!
Old 10-09-2021, 08:37 AM

I stopped using the drive up service last week at my store. The reason being that they never wanted to sell me the items that I wanted to buy, namely the healthier foods. I would go on to the computer to start my order and every time I got to something like bulk nuts, good bread, or any kind of vegan product, the computer would say that, "This product is not available for drive up delivery," or just, "Unavailable." It was getting really frustrating to find good, quality food that they would deliver to my car. I asked the checker about it and she said that they were doing that to push their preferred brands. That's no surprise.

So, I still make up my list at home to help with budgeting, but now I'm back in the store doing my own shopping. I went to the various food sections and low and behold, there were all of my favorite products, overflowing from the shelves. IMHO, it's a sad commentary on what is happening with the food and grocery industry today.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

My weekly food list is simple, fresh produce, eggs, butter, milk, cheese, and fruit. My monthly buys are to replace the pantry items I have used. I have six months of pantry items stored at all times so I don't have to buy anything for six months if it came to that. My husband buys the meats, he's picky about his meats. I wanted to replaced some can soup we like and it has gone up from $1.49 to $2.50. . I won't be surprised if it goes to $5 a can if available in a few months.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have several depression era cookbooks. It's all basic cooking. It's surprising how many families do not buy basic foods anymore. I overheard two younger ladies talking in the grocery store by the dry beans. One said dry beans were pretty to look at and the other said she had no idea why dry beans were even sold anymore because no one she knows ever buys them, her mother never did.
Dry beans are inexpensive and a source of protein. Of course, they have to be soaked and cooked and the general public doesn’t wish to do that. I had to convince our church ladies to make & serve Ham & Bean as a soup choice at the Fall soup supper. It sold out in nothing flat.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I have cooked them without soaking. It takes much longer to cook but tastes the same. Soaking over night in the fridge is what I was taught to do.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:50 AM

I like making my soups from scratch and my beans from dry beans. I soak them in a covered pot overnight.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:52 AM

I don’t always soak my beans overnight. Instead I will do a hard boil for about two minutes, drain and rinse, then cook as usual.