Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote? >

The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote?

The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:02 AM

If I do serve mashed potatoes, lumpy with the skins. I much prefer mashed rutabaga instead.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:14 AM

I always made my mashed potatoes from scratch - no lumps - Then one year, I ran out of potatoes and just happened to have a pkg of Betty Crocker Smooth and Creamy potatoes. I served them to my husband. He loved them better than regular potatoes. "You gotta make them for Thanksgiving". I did. Son and daughter-in-law (who is a connoisseur of mash-ed potatoes loved them. I am not lazy but these have been our Thanksgiving potatoes for several years. They always go - no leftovers and are absolutely perfect with my dressing and gravy. I guess each kind we make is the best. I don't mash potatoes anymore. Actually, several months after my husband died, I was so hungry for mashed potatoes. I just happened to have an extra package in the cat pantry and I dragged it out, fixed them and sat and ate with the most wonderful memories in the world. I use potatoes for roasting, potato salad, hash browns, and I thank Betty Crocker for my mashed potatoes, thank you very much. Edie
Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 AM

Lumpy for me please... If I wanted potato soup, I'd call it that.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 AM

Smooth. Don't like lumps. To me that means somebody doesn't know how to make mashed potatoes. I believe lumpy is termed smashed potatoes.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 AM

What a funny debate.....when I make them I boil the heck out of russet potatoes and run them through my ricer with some butter add s&p and a little milk as needed and they are amazingly good fluffy potatoes. I only use add in like cheeses green onions or bacon when its not Thanksgiving and I either don't have gravy or when I'm making twice baked potatoes.

I'll eat them lumpy, with skins, without skins, red potatoes, Yukon golds I dont care mashed potatoes at thanksgiving are a lovely vessel for the gravy, as long as they are not pasty, soupy, or lumpy because they are under done I'm good. If you are going to all that work to make me a dinner thank you I'll be more than greatful

I think people who "seriously argue" over mashed potatoes have way bigger problems and are looking for something to be pissy about.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Mashed potatoes are mashed - they usually have some lumps. Whipped potatoes have no lumps. I prefer mashed potatoes!! The only thing I put in them is butter and sour cream. Love them ;-)
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 AM

When you refer to 'lumpy' do you mean like Scalloped Potatoes?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:59 AM

Personally, for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner, I prefer Yams or Sweet Potatoes....but I'm from the South...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:05 AM

I have to eat mine a little lumpy, this was I know they are made from Real Potatoes. Some members of my family actually like the instant potatoes, I do not.
Normabeth
Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I go with lumpy. I like texture. To me smooth is almost like soup. I clean the potatoes up but don't peel either. I also like a dollop of sour cream on top of the gravy that's on top of the potatoes and butter. I also let people season their potatoes.