Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
HELP! Hard boiled eggs >

HELP! Hard boiled eggs

HELP! Hard boiled eggs

Old 05-29-2016, 10:09 AM

define "fresh". Gov't says you can mark eggs as "fresh" if they are less than 3 months old. I raise chickens, pick eggs daily, keep no longer than 2 weeks. My eggs are impossible to hard boil and shell nicely. whenever I want perfect deviled eggs, I have to get store bought eggs. If I make them for my family, and use my eggs, they know they are getting ragged, ugly deviled eggs......but they are good!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
define "fresh". Gov't says you can mark eggs as "fresh" if they are less than 3 months old. I raise chickens, pick eggs daily, keep no longer than 2 weeks. My eggs are impossible to hard boil and shell nicely. whenever I want perfect deviled eggs, I have to get store bought eggs. If I make them for my family, and use my eggs, they know they are getting ragged, ugly deviled eggs......but they are good!
I'm with Jane. We have chickens and I keep a cartoon of eggs that are a month old to use for deviled eggs. It's almost impossible to get a "pretty" peeled egg if it's fresh. I have tried all the hints listed and found another one that works pretty good. Crack the egg but try to keep the shell nearly intact. Start at the big round end. Tuck your thumb into the dent and push down, pushing your finger under the membrane. This seems to help stop the divots and dents you get when you peal the egg. My DH works for the grocery store and says the "fresh" eggs your are getting can be as much as 6 months old.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Ok, I'll try to explain what works for me. Same as most of the posts already, I cover the eggs with water, bring to a boil, cover with a lid and turn heat off....leave on the burner though, for 20 minutes. Then plunge in cold water. Here's the tricky part - I lightly crack each end of the egg on the countertop, then tap & roll GENTLY to crack the rest of the eggshell. Pick up the egg and gently turn/roll using a little pressure with fingertips, keep turning until you feel the shell & membrane release from the egg. Most of the time the whole shell comes right off in one piece held together only by the membrane. Is that clear as mud? Good luck.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:35 PM

I add a tablespoon or so of salt to the water. Shells come right off.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Whoever thought that there would be so many ways to boil eggs! I boil my for 10 minutes and immediately put them in ice water. I found that the fresher the eggs the easier it is to peel the shell off.
How funny..I've heard the fresher the egg, like farm fresh, the harder to peel.....
Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I don't know if this works, but I saw a video on Facebook about putting the eggs after they are boiled, in a jar (can't remember if they had water in it or not) and shaking them until the shells were in shreds. Supposedly the shells came off easily.

Edited to add: Found this in a Yahoo search
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2...iled-eggs.html

I tried his and it worked for me. And yes you put water in the jar!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:18 PM

unless the eggs are real fresh I never have a problem I boil for 10 to 15 min run cold water over till I can handle them crack the side and usually get the shell off in two pieces. I have a friend that adds the salt to her water but I am fine the way I do it.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:52 PM

My daughter raises chickens and told me she always puts her eggs in a steamer, and seldom gets a sticky egg. She read it in a chicken raising book. Probably google fresh steamed eggs?
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Thanks! Just had to grin at your response! We get our eggs from a niece who raises her chickens organically .... is that a word? I LOVE them... and use them wherever and whenever..... when DH or DD happen to have to handle them.... you have to cover your ears. Sometimes my deviled eggs aren't quite as pretty as the others.... BUT....mmmmm..... they sure are tasty!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 PM

I steam mine and rarely have any issues.