Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
HELP! Hard boiled eggs >

HELP! Hard boiled eggs

HELP! Hard boiled eggs

Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I steam them. I used to use a steamer basket in a pan but now I use my ninja 3-1 cooker. I use fresh eggs (we have laying hens) and we get the occasional one that's hard to peel but mostly they are easy enough. I also put them in ice water (using actual ice cubes) after I take them out of the steamer.

eta: In the ninja I steam them for 25 min total. When I used a pan I think I started the timer after the water started boiling and steamed for about 15 min. It's been so long I can't remember for sure.
I totally agree with steaming!! I tried allllll kinds of methods. We also have chickens & fresh eggs daily! My husband uses the steamer to make soft boiled eggs, after I realized it also does hard boiled! That's the ONLY way to do it! However, you should also shell them right away. I once laid them aside for a few hours , when I got them out to shell, BAD! But the best way ever! Steam & clean!
Old 05-30-2016, 03:50 AM

I had some deviled eggs using Marzetti Slaw Dressing. I haven't tried it, but I thought it was great.

Marcia
Old 05-30-2016, 04:10 AM

I have an egg cooker and have never had a problem getting the shells off, it is called a Henrietta egg cooker, they steam the egg and they are never over cooked, love it,
Old 05-30-2016, 04:21 AM

Real fresh eggs are hard to peel after boiling - I remember that from home-ec. Two week old eggs work much better.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:48 AM

THIS WILL WORK....put the eggs in COLD water and bring to a boil. Starting in cold water is the key!!!!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 AM

I used to dread making deviled eggs til I found this one on pinterest a while back...

Place eggs in water and bring to a boil for 13 minutes
drain, rinse in cold water for 5 minutes
dump ice on them (in the cold water) and wait 15 minutes

No green around the eggs (from over cooking), shells come off easily. Works like a charm.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 AM

I like my boiled eggs to be just a tiny bit wet looking in the very center. According to The Barefoot Contessa on Food Network this is how to make the perfect boiled eggs. Put eggs in a pot of cold water to cover by 1". Put a lid on and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Drain the water and leave in the hot pot for 5 minutes covered. Cover with cold water to cool. No green yolks, never over cooked, perfect every time. I add a couple of TBSP of baking soda to the water and it seems to make them peel easier.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:09 AM

I pop them out of the boiling water with a spoon , bring them to the sink and place them under the faucet with cold water running , then tap the shells and peel under the old running water.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:42 AM

Funny you should mention boiled eggs. I've always had issues getting the shells off in the past to the point I'd just throw them in the garbage and start over. Started testing out different procedures what others have tried and found adding at least a teaspoon of salt to the water helped a lot. I just made some deviled eggs this past week and had no problems getting the shells off. I did find out that when I went to remove the shell to crack both ends 1st, then roll the egg on your counter till all the shell is cracked, then remove the shell. Seemed to make it a bit easier for me to remove. I keep my eggs shells for my garden along with all my coffee grinds.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 AM

Default Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven

I haven't tried this yet, but I hear that the shells come right off even if they are fresh.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Hard-Boiled-Eggs-in-the-Oven