Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Homemade Crockpot Yogurt

  1. #1
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1

  2. #2
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks again!

  3. #3
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Very cool! I can't wait to try this out!!!

  4. #4
    Super Member Rebecca VLQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,490
    You know, I make this in smaller batches....

    2c milk (I use whole as well)
    2 TBS starter (from store-bought or from your last batch)

    Heat milk on the stove until near-boiling.
    Let cool to 100-105 degrees (feels warm but not hot to touch)
    Temper the starter with some of the warmed milk, whisk, add back to original milk.

    (this is the part that's really different from her)

    Place mixture in a container with lid in the oven (*NOT TURNED ON!) and leave over night. You can turn the oven light on if you like for a little heating action.

    Done in the AM!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    I make Yogurt with powdered milk. 2 1/2 cups of powdered milk to 1 quart of warm water. I do have a salton yogurt maker picked up years ago at a yard sale. Plus yogurt starter or a glob of yogurt from a previous batch. Love it.

  6. #6
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,020
    If you ever want a real taste treat, try making yogurt with half and half - OMG it is SOO good!!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    185
    I have made this recipe and it was wonderful! It really has the best flavor ever, no yogurt "wang".

  8. #8
    Junior Member talkn58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago Suburb
    Posts
    144
    BOOKMARKed this :)

  9. #9
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    If you ever want a real taste treat, try making yogurt with half and half - OMG it is SOO good!!
    Sounds yummy! I'll keep this in mind for a special treat. :-D Hmmm, maybe a yogurt pie with it.

  10. #10
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    Thank you. Sounds good

  11. #11
    Senior Member ncredbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    829
    I like the tang of yogurt! DH and I are lactose intolerant so yogurt is one of the few ways that we get our milk products. The culture eats up the lactose as its food so it doesn't give us any problems. I have been making yogurt since the children were little. It is very cost effective and if you want flavors just stir in some fresh or frozen fruit or jam. Ann in TN

  12. #12
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    thanks!

  13. #13
    Super Member JoyjoyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dover DE
    Posts
    3,735
    Blog Entries
    1
    My fav summer breakfast is plain yogurt topped with lots of fruit and a little granola, walnuts and cinammon-sugar. I sold my Salton in a "purge" several moves ago, so now this brings to mind I could start making my own again - Salton or no! Seems like it's plenty easy, and much more cost effective! Thanks!

  14. #14
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,020
    Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    I like the tang of yogurt! DH and I are lactose intolerant so yogurt is one of the few ways that we get our milk products. The culture eats up the lactose as its food so it doesn't give us any problems. I have been making yogurt since the children were little. It is very cost effective and if you want flavors just stir in some fresh or frozen fruit or jam. Ann in TN
    actually cheese is also lactose-free.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Selena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern MS
    Posts
    601
    I just made the crock-pot yogurt, actually started it yesterday and of course eating some today. It's wonderful. My DD loves it. I used the Knox gelatin for thickening as suggested lower on the page. It is thick and creamy. I also stirred a can of sugar free cherry pie filling into part of it(I made a double batch) instead of blending fruits that can water it down (I plan to do that,too with some blackberries). It tastes like cherry cheesecake yogurt, mmm. I am so happy to be able to do this. We love yogurt and this is so much more economical than store-bought. Of course, as with everything else, I'm going to have to be creative with flavors. It's my nature and I have always preferred anything home made over pre-made. And it's so easy. I love it. Thank you ScrapHappy P.S. DD wants me to tell you that it tastes better than store-bought and she likes the texture better.

  16. #16
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi Selena, so glad you and your daughter liked it. Thanks for the feedback and tips on how you made it. The cherry cheesecake sounds fabulous! :-D :thumbup: I like homemade things better too. They taste better, are fresher and we have more control over what goes in them. I bet mashed up bananas would be good in it too.

    Maybe in the fall if you or your daughter like pumpkins you could add pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Pumpkins are good for us!

    Or if you like smoothies you can add your homemade yogurt too them.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Selena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern MS
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    Hi Selena, so glad you and your daughter liked it. Thanks for the feedback and tips on how you made it. The cherry cheesecake sounds fabulous! :-D :thumbup: I like homemade things better too. They taste better, are fresher and we have more control over what goes in them. I bet mashed up bananas would be good in it too.

    Maybe in the fall if you or your daughter like pumpkins you could add pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Pumpkins are good for us!

    Or if you like smoothies you can add your homemade yogurt too them.
    Thanks I forgot to tell you that I used Greek yogurt as my starter as I couldn't find any other plain yogurt that said they had the culture in it. An added bonus was that they were giving out samples that day and coupons. I bought one and got one free. I will definitely try the pumpkin, I love it in ice cream. I had already thought of bananas as they are a family favorite.

  18. #18
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    I bet pumpkin is good over ice cream.

    I like Greek yogurt and regular yogurt and am sure it works great in the recipe.

    If you like strawberries it tastes good to add strawberry preserves to plain yogurt to make strawberry yogurt, or any of your favorite preserves.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ncredbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    829
    Just wanted to add to this by saying that I have an old crockpot and this turned out very curdly and separated even with the gelatin in it.
    I had placed mine in pint jars inside the crockpot that had water 3/4 of the way up the sides of the jar. It didn't have enough room for all of the jars so I put one in my oven with the oven light on. The one in the oven turned out beautifully but I think the older crock pots get much hotter than the newer ones and that was the problem. I have used the stick blender to try and smooth it out and put it in the oven with the light on and we will see in a few hours how it is. Also I have made this on the counter by putting a heating pad set on low down inside of a large roasting pan with high sides. (The kind you would cook a turkey in) I filled the jars and placed them on top of the heating pad and covered with a lid. Throw a towel over it to insulate from the outside. It turned out just fine also. It would probably work if you placed the heating pad on the counter and placed the ceramic crockpot or glass container on top of it. Ann in TN

  20. #20
    Senior Member Selena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern MS
    Posts
    601
    I didn't put it in jars in the crockpot. I did just as the directions say and it was perfect.

  21. #21
    Senior Member ncredbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    829
    The reason I put it in jars in the crockpot is because I have used mine so much it is no longer really smooth on the inside and I felt it would probably transfer a meat and onion taste to the yogurt since that is what I cook the most in there. Just to follow up it is still really separated but I put it in the fridge and we will stir it up when we eat it. I did use nonfat milk as we don't use anything else. Maybe if I stir in some guar gum it will be better. I will try it after it cools off. We usually eat it with cereal so it won't matter if it is smooth or not. Ann in TN

  22. #22
    Senior Member winter012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    579
    We love yogurt, so plan to make some this way with dried milk in the crock pot. Have made it using a heating pad in the past.

  23. #23
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks for the recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Selena
    I just made the crock-pot yogurt, actually started it yesterday and of course eating some today. It's wonderful. My DD loves it. I used the Knox gelatin for thickening as suggested lower on the page. It is thick and creamy. I also stirred a can of sugar free cherry pie filling into part of it(I made a double batch) instead of blending fruits that can water it down (I plan to do that,too with some blackberries). It tastes like cherry cheesecake yogurt, mmm. I am so happy to be able to do this. We love yogurt and this is so much more economical than store-bought. Of course, as with everything else, I'm going to have to be creative with flavors. It's my nature and I have always preferred anything home made over pre-made. And it's so easy. I love it. Thank you ScrapHappy P.S. DD wants me to tell you that it tastes better than store-bought and she likes the texture better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.