Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade Dog Food For Cheap! >

Homemade Dog Food For Cheap!

Homemade Dog Food For Cheap!

Old 11-25-2022, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

My brother makes all his dog food and make biscuits too. He's like my Mom- always in the kitchen!
Old 11-25-2022, 02:39 PM

sewingpup, I did find a site listing 20 good people foods that can be fed to dogs. Lucky for me because my Terrier/Jack Russel rescue loves green beans on her kibble.

https://www.dogidcollar.com/blogs/bl...-safe-for-dogs
Old 11-25-2022, 03:34 PM

Our Joe loves raw cruciforous veggies--broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts. He'll also eat lettuce, cucumber, carrot, small pieces of tomato and will practically do hand stands for apple, cantaloupe, watermelon and blueberries. We feed grain free kibble and bits and pieces of the veggies. Joe also gets a tablespoon of pumpkin and some psyllium dissolved in a bit of broth every day (makes his stool harder which really helps with the dreaded 'scootching')

Or DD's Ausie, is fed raw and is in amazing shape. But Stella is a bit of a prima dona. She will not eat raw bones. Their previous Ausie would devour raw chicken wings, bone and all.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:36 PM

The turkey that I feed them is boiled and added to their kibbles. It's very lean. I don't think that is an issue.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:03 PM

High fat content is the real culprit. We had a senior dog that survived 2 strains of Leptospirosis at the same time. (she had the 4-way vaccine on board) The Vet advised to start her on a low carb, high protein diet which was also high fat, (It was a well know higher end dog food) she survived the Lepto, it was the pancreatitis that did her in. Vets normally give out warnings with the Holidays because so many dogs end up with gastric upset or worse pancreatitis which is not always survivable.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
High fat content is the real culprit. We had a senior dog that survived 2 strains of Leptospirosis at the same time. (she had the 4-way vaccine on board) The Vet advised to start her on a low carb, high protein diet which was also high fat, (It was a well know higher end dog food) she survived the Lepto, it was the pancreatitis that did her in. Vets normally give out warnings with the Holidays because so many dogs end up with gastric upset or worse pancreatitis which is not always survivable.
So true, Joann. My friend whose schnauzer had pancreatitis had to be really careful. She got into the neighbor's cat's food once and ended up in the ER.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:14 PM

Awhile ago, in Costco, I was standing behind a man who was buying boxes and boxes of canned green beans. That's all he was buying and I couldn't help myself - I just was so curious what all those green beans were about, so I asked. He said he added them to his dog's food as a way to extend their purchased dog food. He said his dogs love the green beans and it saves him on dog food. Just thought that was kind of interesting!
Old 12-03-2022, 01:50 PM

I added green beans as a filler with a dog who needed to watch her weight but had a large appetite. Only 25 calories for 1/2 cup.
Most commercial turkeys are injected with a salt/other chemical solution - not necessarily what I want to feed my pets. Fresh ones aren't, but they are pricey.
Ginger, what is the Aussie being fed instead of bone? Raw should consist of 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meats, with only of that half liver. My last two dogs were raw fed - it was fun sourcing organ meats other than liver. There's some ugly stuff out there.
My cats are supposed to be on either wet or raw food, but they are kibble addicts and it's not going well.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:06 PM

Too, my understanding; once a dog has had pancreatitis it is prone for reoccurrence. Pancreatitis is so painful.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:01 AM

Irishrose2, their current dog is on a commercial raw food diet recommended by their breeder. DD says it is a lot easier on them and very cost effective, especially considering the price of meat here.

They made their own for their first Aussie and if I remember correctly, it included a bone meal supplement. But Maya loved her bone in chicken. I can remember her attacking raw chicken wings when she was a wee baby of about 4 pounds. It was quite a sight!