Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade Dog Food For Cheap! >

Homemade Dog Food For Cheap!

Homemade Dog Food For Cheap!

Old 11-21-2022, 10:24 AM

Default Homemade Dog Food For Cheap!

It's turkey season and my, little Honey Girl sure likes that! Turkeys are so cheap right now, only $7-10 a bird. A can of dog food is now over $3/can and my 3, big dogs go through 2 cans a day. On the other hand, a whole turkey will last them over 1 week. You do the math. That's a big savings!

Yes, I do have to cook it up for them and it is a lot more labor intensive than just opening a can of food. I cut it into sections and put part of it in the freezer for later in the week. Then, I de-bone and boil what's left up in water, which also makes a tasty broth to go over their kibbles. They all love it! On the occasional meal when I have run out and have to serve them canned food...OMG...you should see the dirty looks Honey Girl and Buster give me. (Lucy doesn't care...she's a chow hound.) Honey Girl has actually walked away from her canned dinner. I know...they're spoiled.

The DH went out and bought 2 more turkeys for them yesterday. Thank God I had room in the freezer. He never thinks about those logistical problems.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:38 PM

Beware of pancreatitis, can be fatal in dogs. Maybe check with your Vet.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:33 PM

I feed my dogs a raw diet, but I do use turkey wings or carcasses to make a broth to put on their food. I pick the bones and feed them the boiled turkey. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem with it. And they do love it!
Old 11-22-2022, 04:52 AM

My neighbor make his own dog food. The vet said the chicken and turkey is ok but advised him to add cooked rice and veggies, fresh or canned. It's supposed to be a balanced diet of meat, and carbs.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Is turkey bad for pancreatitis?
Old 11-22-2022, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

My dog's food is over $4 a can. She has to have the kidney prescription food. The vet said it was okay to add, chicken/turkey(not processed) rice, egg whites, a little carrots or green beans. No seasonings or salt of course. I buy the egg whites in a carton and microwave about 1/8 cup to set. 1/4 cup rice per 1/2 cup food. It helps stretch the food and she is getting all the nutrients. And since she does not like the kidney food it helps with taste. The dry food is more economical but she won't eat it. I soak the dry in chicken broth and add some of that to her can food too. She gets a variety so she's happy.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Is turkey bad for pancreatitis?
As I remember, pancreatiitus is triggered by fatty foods, isn't it? If so, turkey would be fine.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Yep, I have to be careful of that with my little dog. So, I feed them white meat, lean ground beef, and am careful about the roast I give them. Has to be lean. I usually just put a tablespoon or so of cut up meat on his kibble. No gravy and things. Vet said he has seen plenty of dogs in because of things like bacon grease put on dog food or the dog just getting into the drippings.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Yep, I have to be careful of that with my little dog. So, I feed them white meat, lean ground beef, and am careful about the roast I give them. Has to be lean. I usually just put a tablespoon or so of cut up meat on his kibble. No gravy and things. Vet said he has seen plenty of dogs in because of things like bacon grease put on dog food or the dog just getting into the drippings.
So true! I had a friend that almost lost her schnauzer when it go into some fatty foods.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
My neighbor make his own dog food. The vet said the chicken and turkey is ok but advised him to add cooked rice and veggies, fresh or canned. It's supposed to be a balanced diet of meat, and carbs.
I add in a bit of lean meat and veggies into the kibble. Be care about the veggies, some like onion and garlic can be toxic to dogs. I know sweet potatoe, carrots, green beans are what I use most of the time. I did see some lists somewhere about what veggies are ok and which are not. I do give cook rice once in a while if he has digestive issues. I also give him a probiotic that my vet recommended. Oh, I often roast up a chicken and I have started to freeze some of the leftover meat in small portions to add to his kibble. I do have some canned dog food too which he will eat as long as I don't give it to him too often. He might be a bit spoiled. I know I am paying close to $20 a four-pound bag now for his dry kibble.

Last edited by sewingpup; 11-22-2022 at 07:39 PM.