Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Incredible Enchiladas >

Incredible Enchiladas

Incredible Enchiladas

Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 AM

I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, and adapted it to my tastes. I hope you try this, as it is so delicious! The original recipe called for jalapeno salsa instead of the red salsa I used. That is just too spicy for DH, who gets heartburn easily.

Start with one bunch of fresh cilantro, stems removed, and one whole cooked chicken, all meat pulled off the bones and shredded.

Put cilantro in the blender with 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 14 oz of green chile salsa (this is not spicy) and 1/2 cup or more red salsa and blend til smooth.

Finely chop one onion and mix with the shredded chicken. Add 14 oz. green chile salsa to the chicken mixture.

Pour sour cream mix into 2 13x9 pans, just enough to cover the bottoms of the pans. Reserve the rest for topping the enchiladas.

Place about 15 6 inch flour tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften, then place 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken down the center of each tortilla. Roll it closed and place seam side down in the pans, making parallel rows, but don't overcrowd them.

Top each pan of enchiladas with the remaining sour cream mix and then 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend shredded cheese. Cover the pans tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I also made this recipe with shredded chuck roast that had cooked all night in the crock pot in salsa, garlic, onion, chili powder, salt and black pepper. It was also excellent!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Sounds yummy, will give it a try sometime. My DH loves sour cream enchiladas.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:06 PM

This sounds great...and I also would go with the milder version. Neither my husband or myself can tolerate really spicy foods. Can't wait to try your recipe.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:33 PM

I love enchiladas, the hotter the better!

Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 AM

Do you think this can be adapted by not using the tortillas? I know - then it's not an enchilada, but my parents are doing the low carb thing and my Dad dearly loves Mexican food but can't really eat it. :(

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 AM

I was trying to think of something to replace the tortillas...what if you rolled the chicken up in some kind of roasted peppers, say maybe roasted red or green bell peppers or chili peppers (something according to your heat preference) That way it wouldn't be just chicken in a sour cream sauce. And just in case you don't know...an easy way to roast bell peppers is to rub them in olive oil then place on baking sheet in the oven, turning occasionally to get that charred look on all sides. When done, place peppers in a paper bag and close tightly until cool. This will make it easier to remove the skins. Good luck...hope this works for you and I just might try it with the peppers myself for something different :thumbup: .
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks Wendy, I saved it to my recipe file! Sounds yummy!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Thank you Jaynie! Like you, I may even try it myself! :D
Old 03-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I have some grilled chicken breasts left over from today, so will try this tomorrow. It sounds wonderful! Maybe we will start seeing whole wheat tortillas one day which will help the low-carb people. Sure hope so.
I've seen whole wheat tortillas, and spinach tortillas, and sun-dried tomato. There are lots of possibilities with them! Tortillas are not very much in the way of carbs anyway! Go ahead and try this, you will be addicted, I promise!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:20 AM

I made these this week for my family and not only were they easy ( did the chicken the night before) but they were delicious. Will defineltly be putting this in permenent receipe file. Thanks so much for sharing.