Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
InExpensive Meals? >

InExpensive Meals?

InExpensive Meals?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

We're trying to eat really cheap, and stay on a budget, as my hours at work were cut! On the bright side, at least I still have a job, right, LOL!
Please share any cheap recipes with me!!!!!!!!
Heres one of mine!

Tuna Cassarole
Use one box of mac and cheese, two cans of tuna, a few stems of asparagus, a handful of crackers and a bit of extra cheese(in Wisconsin everything has cheese, LOL!)
Just make up the make and cheese, and add the asparagus at same time, to save water. Drain noodles and aspargus, add milk, butter, tuna. Top with broken crackers and cheese, and bake. Its really good and semi nutritiuos!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Double Up Casserole

2 lbs frozen french fries or tater tots
2 cans green beans - drained

2 cans cream soup, cream of chicken/cream of mushroom
2 cups sour cream MIX SOUR CREAM AND SOUPS TOGETHER

1 pkg pork chops or chicken pieces - salt and pepper to taste

Place ingred in the order listed above in a LINED 13 x 9 pan, lay the meat on top, cover with aluminum foil TIGHTLY. Bake at 400 degrees for 2 hours. Serves 6. great reheated.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Chili Pizza

I make pizza dough but you can use the Pillsbury "whomp" cans of it too.
1 can of Chili con Carne without beans
Hamburger, browned (up to a pound per pizza)
Cheddar cheese
1/2 c chopped onion
Sliced olives

Spread the dough, spread with chili, top with toppings of choice, bake at 425 until cheese is melted.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 AM

okay this is bad but I have to do it anyways so here it goes

day 1 make a chicken dinner with the works, mash taters, corn, salad, whatever, oh and save the drippings from the bird.

day 2, take your bird and make chicken soup

day 3, take chicken soup throw in leftover gravy, thicken pour into pie crust, top with another pie crust. oh and add more vegs.

3 big meals all for under $20.00 total.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Oh, great recipes ladies! Renee, I think its very smart to strtch out your meat into several meals, love doing that with ham and roast too!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 AM

Since I am in chronic kidney failure, I am limited to 4 ounces of meat a day. I really stretch meat to get the flavor, here are my groc habits.

1. I buy 2 lbs of ground chuck, take home, cook with onion and peppers, freeze in 1/2 cup portions. When I want a fast dinner, I take out of freezer and thaw quick in microwave, then add to any of the following: spaghetti sauce, mix with cream of mushroom soup and canned mixed veggies, pour in casserole and top w/instant mashed potatoes for shepherd's pie, mix with cream soup and cheese and pour over tater tots, thaw for pizza topping, add to pinto beans with some barbecue sauce for "cowboy beans".

2. Any meat I buy gets repackaged into individual servings for the freezer. If I buy chicken breasts, I wrap in press n seal, then place all in big freezer bag. I only have to thaw what we need.

3. A quick easy dinner staple for us is "homemade beef pot pie".
Take a giant can of Beef Stew, place in a pie crust, top with 1/2 c cheddar cheese and second crust, bake for one hour until crust is done. Will serve the two of us for 3 main dishes when adding a salad.

4. I stretch beans the same way. First day is ham and beans and cornbread, second day is beans turned into chili.

5. When turkey is on sale cheap, I buy and bake. First day is turkey and dressing and fixings, then I package into 1/2 c servings. When I add fajita seasonings or taco mix, tastes like chicken. Great to add to noodles/dumplings.

6. Quick, cheap chicken and dumplings? Mix precooked chicken with chicken broth, add sage and black pepper, drop sliced flour tortillas into broth, constantly stirring. Will make delicious pot of chick/dumplings. Sometimes I add cream of chicken soup also.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Aw, Purplemem, sorry to hear of your kidney failure! Hope things get better for you, Hon!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Aw, Purplemem, sorry to hear of your kidney failure! Hope things get better for you, Hon!
CarrieAnne,
Thanks for your note of concern. I have many health challenges, I adjust and do my best. The QB is the best place I go for therapy!
Have a great day!

Mj
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Change this to chicken by using either left over chicken or one of those flat cans of chicken, use either canned or frozen mixed vegetables, onion, garlic, bell pepper (when on sale) Any kind of pasta and cheese makes this really good. Instead of using oven (expensive to operate) cook pasta on stove top; saute everything else in large skilet then either stir pasta into the vegies or use large platter for pasta then top with vegies and cheese. If I have those small tomatoes I throw a few of them on top of this. Also, I have found buying the red peppers that are called roasted peppers and are in jars on the grocery shelves is cheaper than buy the fresh peppers. By changing the pasta and veggies everyone thinks you're serving a different meal.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM

I am like Reneebobby
Day 1 in the crockpot put in many chicken breasts, can of cream of mushroom soup, can of cr of chicken soup, packet of dry italian dressing, and 8 oz cream cheese. cook all day and server over noodles with frozen mixed veges.

day 2 mix all the leftovers together and add chicken broth. server with bread

day 3 thicken leftovers with another can of cr of chicken and put into frozen pie crust, put crust on top and bake.