Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Jams & Jelly >

Jams & Jelly

Jams & Jelly

Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 AM

Never heard of tomato jelly!!!!!!!!!!!!
What does it taste like? Sweet tomatoes? HMMMMMM.

Does anyone have a good chowchow recipe. Sorry, but you mentioned tomatoes. I don't have anything at present to make jelly with. No longer can find plums in south Alabama. I think the wild ones died out a few years ago. Loved the yellow ones that my mom used to make pies with. Yummy!!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Right now nothing, but come Sept. after we go pickin I will be making Hucklberry jam. I will have to use up what is left of my last years crop in the freezer.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 AM

Already made apricot and strawberry, yummy!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 AM

I just finished making jam with the wild strawberries i picked. I usully make blueberry jam, and sauce. Also choke cherry jelly as well as crabapple jelly, oh and rasberry jelly when I can get good rasberries. Oh and peach marmalade!!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:22 AM

strawberry jam mmmm
Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Swap Hosts

Golden Habanero Jelly - great on corn muffins and grilled cheese. Done with blueberry jam and compote as well as raspberry-strawberry-chocolate dessert topping. Starting soon on blackberry jam. Then in August off foraging for beach plums for that incredible jam and Asian dipping sauce. Mmmmm! Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Yesterday made a batch of ginger rhubarb, my DH's favorite. Had already made multiple batches of strawberry rhubarb as well as plain strawberry. Can't wait til the plums and peaches are ripe to add those to the stash! Will also try an onion relish this year. Has anyone a good recipe?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM

On another messageboard I visit, a gal from Great Britain said she made 'beetroot preserves'
I had never heard of such a thing, so goodled it, and there were oodles of hits and images.

(to me therm beetroot is redundant)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Concord grape jelly and jam, strawberry preserves, Black cherry jelly, pineapple preserves, Navel orange marmalade. So far and 6 jars fresh garlic slivers in olive oil.
How do you store the garlic in olive oil? I'd like to do some for myself and maybe a few jars as gifts. May in Jersey
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Have plenty of jam jars but haven't made any in awhile. Used to have a friend that I kept supplied with jams, he always came over with a bag with the empty jars asking for refills and that kept me making more jam. He and his wife moved out of state a few years ago and I haven't receive any new jam requests.

Kind of hot to be making jams right now but if I see a good sale on some fruits I'll put up a few jars. I usually do jams in the Fall, apple butter (love that it's thin and spreads so nicely) and and an apple pear jam that everyone loves. Also make a low sugar apricot pineapple jam but last few times it came out very thick, maybe I should shorten the cooking time. It's great to have rows of jams ready to eat and enjoy or for gifts. A new niece in law told her mother I was her new Aunt Jam, LOL!