Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Let's talk about goat >

Let's talk about goat

Let's talk about goat

Old 01-12-2022, 08:41 AM

Default Let's talk about goat

I've eaten goat when it's been available. Sometimes as farm raised meat cooked by the farmer, sometimes in various ethnic cuisines. Hubby hasn't ever tried it but has had deer and other game as well as lamb.

His "ketovore" life style is rather restricted and I try and slip what suitable vegies I can, so things like cabbage and onions and celery, and he finds that he likes a lot more heat and spice in his meat than he used to.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a 15 pound box of "halal goat cubes" at Costco. Part of it is just for lock down amusement value, time to do something different... Broke it down very easily to (3) 5 pound packages (each piece was individually frozen and in big zip lock but we didn't have quite the right space in the freezer but scooped up and kept out one batch to thaw and froze the other two.

First batch will be birria (Mexican) style. I figure we will have a curry and probably a jerk -- but any of you have things you can suggest?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:47 AM

This is the recipe I'm starting from. I'm sort of a heat wimp but I'm going pretty much as the recipe directs:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25...-braised-goat/

I had almost everything I needed on hand, except to make the end hot sauce and we have hot sauce -- had to make a quick run out for the ancho chili peppers and needed a couple other ingredients for other meals. Got the small bag of the dried anchos, there will be enough for another batch should I choose to make one.

Since I'm using cubes, I will be simmering the goat in the meat sauce instead of roasting. I'll be used canned crushed tomatoes instead of fresh plum tomatoes because I have those on hand.

About to go make the marinade and let it sit until tomorrow. I'll have to fix something else for dinner tonight -- which is part of why I got the other ingredients.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I love lamb but I suspect goat will have a stronger gamey taste. I would look for Indian curry recipes.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:08 AM

umm... I had goat once, it was pretty good and it was not gamey. But then again, the goat had been my friends and she decided to eat him because he would not stay out of the vegetable garden even with a six foot fence around it. So he was fattened up on veggies. It was just roasted and subtly season. Like I said, it was good.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:00 PM

Recipe sounds yummy, though I am not a huge fan of goat, lamb or mutton. I’ve had everything from Antelope to Bear and Caribou, Elk etc. . My dad was a avid hunter and fisher, our freezer was always full what ever he got. I never say no to anything without least trying it.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Goat is very lean. I always made it on low heat and very slow. I like it better then mutton.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:46 PM

I have had cabrito (ground) and found it quite good. A bit of the flavor of goat cheese, which I also like.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:55 AM

My husband ate a lot of goat growing up. Usually simmered in a pot of beans. He does not care for it at all. I never have had goat before. My younger brother has, he says it has a rather stringy texture to it.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:39 PM

If you’re in Fredericksburg Texas, you might like to attend the weekly goat auction at the sale barn. Entertaining and interesting to see them sold. Breakfast at the attached cafe was good too.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:24 PM

The Mexican community around here raise Boer goats,which are "meat goats." They BBQ it. It's pretty good, if you like meat.