Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Let's talk about goat >

Let's talk about goat

Let's talk about goat

Old 01-14-2022, 05:04 AM

Tranum, hubby says he has a bucket list trip of nothing but BBQ in Texas... we might get out that way.

The dinner was good. The ancho chiles were very mild, no heat, not really even any warmth, but a nice flavor. There was a bit of identifiable goat flavor, but it it had been slightly higher spiced I don't think it would be noticeable.

Think stew meat with bones for the cubes -- the noticeable bones were fine but there were some little gritty fragments from the cutting process that were a bit disconcerting.

Hubby says no issues, he would eat again and he will grab a couple of the cubes and cook them up just on their own so he can identify the goat flavor.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:50 AM

Have you considered middle eastern recipes? I know that is a common meat in that part of the world. The spices are much different and have flavor but without "heat".
Old 01-21-2022, 12:49 PM

Curry goat day! I think I like this better than the birria, but I really wish I had some potatoes or rice or something for the sauce. Cauliflower rice would be ok, but sometimes you want something that soaks up stuff.

This is the recipe I used, Simply Recipes -- Jamaican Goat Curry
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...an_goat_curry/

I bought 2 and used 1 (american) quarter sized Habanero chili because I'm a wimp but I wanted the correct flavor profile. I could taste it, I could feel a mild warmth on my lips but it was in no way too hot for me to eat or even feel the need to gulp down cold liquids

I used one can of coconut milk, and (1) 14.5 can of diced tomatoes, including juice and about 2 cups water. I have a lot of broth.

For my curry powder, I use Alton Brown's mix -- I had a couple of tablespoons left of my last batch and had to make some more.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1942061
Yes -- I used about 6 tablespoons (most of a batch)
Old 01-22-2022, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Boy, Iceblossom, I showed you my goat fabric. Could I eat one of those cuties? No way! LOLOLOL
Old 01-22-2022, 07:34 AM

I didn't want to mention it there

I do get all sorts of flack, but we do eat cute animals from goats to lambs to bunnies to bambi... baby cows and pigs are darn cute too. I've been vegetarian for long periods of time but have come to term with while I have choice and that is often plants, I am by design an omnivore and I am willing to do what is required. But even "food" deserves a quality life and we should make the most from everything from that life, so nose to tail, innards, all that stuff... Is a part of our upcoming move stuff, to be closer to the food chain than we are currently.

Goat is the most eaten meat in the world even if not so common in the US. It is lean, the animals are hardy and a reasonable size when you don't have refrigeration, which we do of course, but it isn't the same amount of commitment to deal with a goat as an ox.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:19 AM

So much has to do with the way it is slaughtered, cleaned and cured as to the gamey taste. I love venison and since I got the right butcher I have not had a gamey tasting cut since. Same with Lamb. And there are ways to cut down on the fatty greasy taste to lamb. I have not had goat yet but it is on my bucket list.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:09 AM

Wow, I just loved that goat curry. Definitely would do again. After the hubby had eaten out the meat I went ahead and cooked a batch of potatoes and baby carrots in the remaining sauce. Cauliflower would have been good too. I feel the heat of the single habanero increased as the sauce aged, fresh it wasn't too hot at all but a couple of days later I was feeling more of it.

I have the jerk marinade made up for this week's batch of goat which will still be a couple of days before I made it. But, I was out in the kitchen doing stuff and came upon my remaining habanero and had the other ingredients so used the chopping board and blender while they were out. This is the recipe I'm using -- pretty much as is, except only 1 habanero and I put in more soy sauce. Also I left out the beer and molasses, I will be missing the hint of sweet.
https://chefs-table.homebrewchef.com...-lamb-venison/

Probably will be cooking on Wednesday this week.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:56 PM

I usually make a Jamaican curry goat, and my recipe is pretty similar to this one. Make sure to use a specific Jamaican curry for this (I like Blue Mountain) or it won't taste the same. I can't get fresh Scotch bonnet peppers, but I do get some jarred in a paste from Amazon.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:18 PM

I really enjoyed the curry version -- it was very close to the recipe you posted.

The Jerk Goat was good but not really what I was expecting. I don't know if it is because I made the marinade a couple of days ahead of time, but while the one Habanero was fine for me in the curry, probably could have used a couple more in the jerk. It came out well seasoned but not at all hot. Not that I'm complaining, heat wimp that I am.

On a side note, I got a seed catalog and it has a variety of "heatless" habaneros so you get the flavor...

All in all, we enjoyed all three dishes. We found after the first batch that we preferred to go through and remove the bones before eating/serving, so I did that on both the Jerk and the Curry versions. The goat cubes were easy to store and use, and picking up from Costco meant no special trip or anything. The little flecks of bone from the cubing process were still rather disconcerting and some got through my hand processing. Hubby wants to try a larger cut, simply grilled but the cubes are cheaper so not sure when that will happen.