Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for German Recipe >

Looking for German Recipe

Looking for German Recipe

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
No recipe here .... just an idea from something I had at my Swiss/German friends home.

A main course dish that's homemade which reminded me more of pasta, yet was kind of scrambled up like eggs. Anyone know what that would be?
This really sounds like spatezle. Which is a pasta normally put thru a sieve into boiling liquid. I can see where you'd think it looked like scrambled eggs.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:02 AM

Hi!
I think you are looking for an Austrian recipe called "Sterz" or "Mehlsterz". The ingredients are flour, salt and boiling water and lard.
You eat it with a soup of sour cream. It really sounds not good, but it is a delicious winter meal, if you have nearly no ingredients at home and the snow is lying high.

Best regards
Katjana

Last edited by katjana; 01-04-2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 AM

http://www.gutekueche.at/rezepte/7365/mehlsterz.html

http://www.rezeptesammlung.net/kaern....htm#Mehlsterz

I am sorry, but my English is not good enough to translate it exactly. Perhaps the google-translator helps enough. Otherwise I can try it...
Old 01-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
Thanks for your input but as I remember (last time I had it was 50 years ago) it looked like scrambled eggs but FIRMER. Mom always made it with a dandoline (sp) salad (YUCK) It was a main dish. Back then we seldom ate meat so it was a basic staple. Thanks
It sounds like spatezle to me, which is like noodles. It really looks like scrambled eggs, its cooked in a broth. My ex used to make it for my daughter every time she got sick.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 AM

No, this is not Spätzle (Spaezle). Spätzle are made with eggs and the meal is more "wet". Sterz is drier and a little bit crispy.
It is hard to describe. This are to total other meals although they look similar, if you would make a photo of them. Oh, by the way, Schmarrn looks like these both, too. Schmarrn is like pancake, only a little bit less fluid in the raw condition and cut up in small pieces with raisins.
I hope you are now not confused ;-)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 AM

No, this is not Spätzle (Spaezle). Spätzle are made with eggs and the meal is more "wet" (and only made in salted water, not broth). Sterz is drier (not cooked, more roasted) and a little bit crispy.
It is hard to describe. These are two total other meals although they look similar, if you would make a photo of them.
Oh, by the way, Schmarrn looks like these both, too. Schmarrn is like pancake, but a little bit less fluid in the raw condition and cut up in small pieces with raisins before serving.
Sterz you eat with sour cream soup, Spätzle a little bit scalloped with cheese you take with salad and Schmarrn you eat with plum- or apple compote.
I hope you are now not confused ;-)

Last edited by katjana; 01-04-2015 at 09:50 AM.