Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Low sugar >

Low sugar

Low sugar

Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 PM

Red face Low sugar

I need a low sugar dessert. I usually make a super rick choc. cake.LOL. This time I really need to get out of my go to ideas.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Glass Tort

Dissolve 3 different sugar free boxes of jello-lime, strawberry, and lemon. Pour each into separate bowls or bread pans. Put in refrigerator until firm. Graham cracker crust. I make my own using the crackers but I don't add sugar. Get a large tub of lite cool whip or topping. Once the jello is set, then take a knife and score small squares in the jello. Pour into large mixing bowl. Add the tub of whipped topping and fold until all is mixed well. Pour into the cracker crust and put n the refrig until serving time. This is really good and does look like broken glass.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 PM

[TABLE="class: hrecipe, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: title, bgcolor: #FFFFCC"]PINEAPPLE COOL WHIP PIE[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFFFCC, colspan: 2"]16 oz. sour cream
1 lg. can unsweetened crushed pineapple
8 oz. sugar free Cool Whip
3 oz. pkg. sugar free vanilla instant pudding
graham cracker crust

Mix sour cream, Cool Whip and pudding. Add pineapple. Pour into graham cracker crust and chill.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-28-2015, 11:04 PM

My first thought was something made with berries. If you are trying to keep sugar down there is nothing better than strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Even a small dish of berries with a bit of whipped cream on top is quick and easy.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 AM

Key Lime Pie (our favorite)

1 sm. box sugar-free lime Jello
1/4 C. boiling water

2 containers of Key-lime yogurt
1 8 oz. Cool Whip

Whisk boiling water with Jello, making sure the Jello is completely dissolved

Fold in:
Two containers of Key-lime yogurt
8 oz. Cool Whip

Pour into graham cracker crust: 1-1/4 C. finely crushed graham cracker crumbs; 1/4 C. Splenda; 6 Tbsp. melted butter, mixing well and pressed into pie pan. Bake at 375 for about 6 minutes. Let cool before putting in pie mixture.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 AM

I don't cook with sugar anymore, I don't use sugar anymore. I buy Truvia - a sugar made from the Stevia plant. No calories. You use less than regular sugar. I love it. I like the taste better than regular sugar. And it is natural. 1/2 t. for a bowl of oatmeal. Can't beat that! If the sugar free whatever is made with the Stevia plant, I'll buy it, otherwise, I just make my own stuff and taste till it is the right flavor for me. Perfect with fresh fruit, grapefruit. Just a little bit sweetens it up so nice. Edie
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 AM

Google recipes for black bean brownies. I haven't tried them, but they would be a great rich chocolate lower sugar alternative. They're on my bucket list to try.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by tkee View Post
Google recipes for black bean brownies. I haven't tried them, but they would be a great rich chocolate lower sugar alternative. They're on my bucket list to try.
I've had these, and they are great. And cocoa and dark chocolate are actually good for you. (Not milk chocolate.) I try to get a little fix of dark chocolate every day.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks everyone. I've make the broken glass one. Never thought to use sugar free jello. Not too sure I need to concern myself with sugar free. I know she has sugar problems. Last night we met them for dinner out. They invited us back to their house (we live on the same street) for coffee. They served coffee & donuts. She ate two jelly filled, powdered sugar coated donuts.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 PM

Edie, I use Truvia also and have been making my own jams with the Pamona Universal Pectin powder. Great recipes for jam and use it in anything I need to stay off sugar.
The gal topped off the night with 2 donuts after the dinner out, my my that is not good. But it sounds like she is satisfied with the way she eats.

I have eaten myself away from being a diabetic, eating properly makes a huge difference. I eat very healthy to spare myself from being on drugs. It takes determination but so worth it, love the Truvia. You can also grow your own Stevia plants then harvest the leaves to use in smoothies, great stuff and cheap.