Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery >

Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery

Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by creativesheila
Ok y'all. Please share your favorite recipe that can be made ahead. I am having knee replacement surgery and I want to stock the fridge. Thanks for helping.
Not a recipe but a word of advice. I had knee replacements 4 years ago. Make sure you do the rehab and the the exercises are MOST important. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM

I don't like to cook so when I do it's in quantity.

You can roast a small turkey(or a chicken), take all the meat off the bone, cut the breast in half, wrap and freeze them. Separate the rest of the good meat into baggies and freeze. Make soup with the bones, portion off and freeze.

Make mashed potatoes(I do the whole bag). Cook some sliced carrots(the whole bag again)in a can of chicken or turkey broth, use the broth when making the gravy for your turkey(I use 2 pkgs gravy mix added to the pan drippings, the broth from the carrots and water). Freeze 1.5 cup portions of the gravy in ziploc bags. After our meal I just mash the leftover carrots into the potatoes. I usually stir a can of corn in before freezing them.

When you heat the potatoes, they'll be a little watery when they thaw but I thaw them in a covered nonstick frying pan and drain it off, then throw in some butter and cook them til they're dry and brown.

We do this every Thanksgiving, and have a hot meal when I cook it, then sandwiches for supper and the frozen components for about 3-4 nice turkey, mashed potato/carrots/corn, gravy dinners. Of course they don't have to be served together, you can thaw the turkey and make sandwiches. And use the potatoes with something else. If you throw some sauteed onion and sausage(or hamburger or diced roast beef)into them you can make a nice hash.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM

interesting topic because i am going thru this also!! my hubby is having reconstructive surgery on his leg, from a accident , next week and he will be done for 8 weeks, then in 3 weeks i am having a hysterectomy (sp) but my insurance wants me to go to a hospital 100 miles (they wont pay out of network for me to go here i town) away so i will be gone for a few days and when i get home we will both be confined to the house !! this will be a true test on our marraige and how well my son (that lives in town) will be there for us !!! so i am looking for some ideas also
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
I don't like to cook so when I do it's in quantity.

You can roast a small turkey(or a chicken), take all the meat off the bone, cut the breast in half, wrap and freeze them. Separate the rest of the good meat into baggies and freeze. Make soup with the bones, portion off and freeze.

Make mashed potatoes(I do the whole bag). Cook some sliced carrots(the whole bag again)in a can of chicken or turkey broth, use the broth when making the gravy for your turkey(I use 2 pkgs gravy mix added to the pan drippings, the broth from the carrots and water). Freeze 1.5 cup portions of the gravy in ziploc bags. After our meal I just mash the leftover carrots into the potatoes. I usually stir a can of corn in before freezing them.

When you heat the potatoes, they'll be a little watery when they thaw but I thaw them in a covered nonstick frying pan and drain it off, then throw in some butter and cook them til they're dry and brown.

We do this every Thanksgiving, and have a hot meal when I cook it, then sandwiches for supper and the frozen components for about 3-4 nice turkey, mashed potato/carrots/corn, gravy dinners. Of course they don't have to be served together, you can thaw the turkey and make sandwiches. And use the potatoes with something else. If you throw some sauteed onion and sausage(or hamburger or diced roast beef)into them you can make a nice hash.
great idea thanks maybe i will cook a turkey , makes great left over sandwichs
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM

I like to pick turkey off the bone & freeze in serving size.Then make turkey gravy, add the meat & yum! Great on mashed potatoes or toast.Makes a great hot turkey sandwich,or add to cooked noodles along with enough broth or milk to thin.In summer, the turkey meat is good added to a chef salad,tacos & burritos.Of course, chicken can be used the same way.A lot of good eating from either.

Don't forget to have brfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs or friattita with toast & home fries works for us.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM
lbc

Best of luck to all of you who will be having surgery and may your freezers all be well stocked.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Wow. Did your first knee go well? I am kind of scared.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Maybe we can give the date of our surgery, then check in when able to do so.We can all use all the encouragement we can find.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM

My hubby is already pretty ill and I am his care giver I will know monday when I am going in for radical hysterectomy. I too am hoping to get thru with both of us laid up. I guess we will have to rely on God. I had d/c 3 weeks ago and I am still trying to get totally back on my feet but we made it throught that. God only gives us what we can handle dispite our fears. God bless us all.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Before I went through radiation treatment for breast cancer, two friends came over and helped me make 30 freezer meals and stocked up my freezer. With 3 of us working, it took about 2 1/2 hours to get everything prepared. (I'd done quite a bit of organizing before we started working.)
Since I was driving an hour each way for 28 treatments, it was a wonderful blessing to have all these main dishes ready. (As you might suppose,I love those two friends.)
http://www.30mealsinoneday.com/recipes.php