Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery >

Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery

Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery

Old 04-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vwquilting
My hubby is already pretty ill and I am his care giver I will know monday when I am going in for radical hysterectomy. I too am hoping to get thru with both of us laid up. I guess we will have to rely on God. I had d/c 3 weeks ago and I am still trying to get totally back on my feet but we made it throught that. God only gives us what we can handle dispite our fears. God bless us all.
well i will be thinking of you because it sounds like what i am going to go tru in a few weeks , keep in touch and let me know how things worked out once you can get back to the computer
Old 04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

I made stews, lasagna, stuffed cabbabe, meatloaf, bacon/sausage, etc and froze in serving sizes so that all I had to do was take out a few each day to defrost and microwave when I wanted to eat. Make a good variety so you don't get bored with your choices. Good Luck on your surgery!!:-)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM

All Ya'll have said everything that I was going to say. I have had to do this a few times.
I'm having some minor knee surgery on the 26th so I will be making some foods (after tax season) to just heat up. I will get meals from the church for at least 5 days(every other day) and usually they all bring enough for 2 meals.
I have been working on some quilts that I will be sewing bindings onto after surgery.
I hope everyone has successful surgeries. Sounds like there will be a lot of us recovering!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM
kso

A pan of pre-cooked frozen lasagna in your freezer would be a great idea. Cook it in a disposable aluminum pan and you won't even have to wash the pan later.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Good Luck. Been there had both done at the same time. Here i
s my cole slaw receipe. It keeps up to l month in fridge.

shreded cabbage, l red pepper, 1 green pepper, diced sweet onion, shreded carrots.

Make hot sauce:
1 cup vegtable oil
1 cup cider vinegar. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER KIND
1cup water
1/2 cup sugar
salt & pepper
1TBS celery seed or you can add diced celery
Bring to a boil
Keep mixing till sugar is disolved
Pour over the cole slaw mix & mix everything up then REFRIGERATE.
This comes in handy to have with a sandwich instead of having to make a salad.
I keep this in the fridge all year round. It is mighty tasty.
Enjoy and think positive. It will all work out. Anne:)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Thanks for reminding me of this slaw.Haven't made it for a while, but we do like it without the mayo.

Saw a cooking show today on Food network with Big Daddy. He roasted a 4pd pork roast,then divided it into 4 meals. No reason any cooked meat can't be used same way.He made a pasta dish,a noodle soup,barbecue sandwiches & used some with cheese as a filling between soft tacos...quesadillas.

I also like to keep fruit salad in the fridge.Makes a quick dessert with cookies.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM

I keep my freezer stocked with soup in single serving freezer containers. Right now I have Ham & beans, Chili, Vegetable, and potato.
I just recently started with the potato soup because I did not think the cheese & milk would work well. Well let me tell you it is delicious
We used to just microwave the plastic containers but recently heard that microwaving the plastic is not good for you so now we pop it out and put it in a bowl to thaw in the microwave.
I also usually have taco meat sauce and speghetti sauce in the freezer as well.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM

While you are still on pain meds you may not have much of an appetite. Some light things like yogurt or cottage cheese may be enough. If you wait 'til the day before you head to the hospital, and buy the longest off sell-by date, they should keep well for you. Or if you have a shopper, they could pick up fresh groceries for you to have your fridge stocked when you come home.

Hugs and prayers going out to all of you with upcoming surgery.

Patti
Old 04-11-2011, 01:39 AM

Hello,Patti from another Patti...in real life that is.The 1st time I had major surgery,I had no appetite for a long time & lost a whole lot of wt.The last time,I didn't lose but 8-10 pds...darn it!
The Dr's assistant said there's been a difference in meds etc, so maybe that's why? I like to keep light foods for 1st few days after surgery.Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by Pzazz
While you are still on pain meds you may not have much of an appetite. Some light things like yogurt or cottage cheese may be enough. If you wait 'til the day before you head to the hospital, and buy the longest off sell-by date, they should keep well for you. Or if you have a shopper, they could pick up fresh groceries for you to have your fridge stocked when you come home.

Hugs and prayers going out to all of you with upcoming surgery.

Patti
Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 AM

[quote=plainpat]Hello,Patti from another Patti...in real life that is.The 1st time I had major surgery,I had no appetite for a long time & lost a whole lot of wt.The last time,I didn't lose but 8-10 pds...darn it!
The Dr's assistant said there's been a difference in meds etc, so maybe that's why? I like to keep light foods for 1st few days after surgery.Thanks for the tips.

[quote]

I had the same thing happen for me this last surgery...only lost 6 LBS. I have managed to keep all but two of them off so far. Mind you, I am not yet 2 months post op, so I am sure I will have no trouble finding the rest. LOL Actually, I am hopeful to be able to keep them off and lose a few more as well. DH has finally admitted that he has to change his eating habits....which makes it much easier to keep to mine. He has not been to the doc on this one yet, so we have been self-diagnosing him. We suspect galbladder issues. He does have an appt., so it will be interesting to see how well we diagnosed. ;)

Patti