Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Messed up Mom's fudge recipe.  Help???? >

Messed up Mom's fudge recipe. Help????

Messed up Mom's fudge recipe. Help????

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Your mom's recipe seems to be the one that use to be on the back of the Hershey Cocoa can. I watched my grandmother make it many many times. Never scrap the sides of the pan when stirring is all I remember.
It's what we used as kids, made tons of fudge, some we ate with a spoon LOL. Compared to "store bought", it was a little grainy.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 AM

My brother was the fudge maker in the family and his secret: never scrape the sides and ABSOLUTELY IF YOU REMOVE THE SPOON, YOU MUST USE A CLEAN SPOON WHEN YOU NEED TO RETURN THE SPOON. Also check your thermometer to see what the boiling point is on your thermometer and adjust the temp.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:25 AM

Just made the recipe indicated. The trick is to use a candy therm. Do not stir after it begins to boil. Cool without stirring. Beat just until it starts to lose its gloss.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:30 AM

That's the same recipe my mom made too & now me. It use to be printed on the box of Hershey's powdered cocoa but now I think you can get it on their web site. Glad you like it too I just can stand milk chocolate fudge! PM me if you can't find it. BTY a cloudy - humid day makes a difference.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:25 AM

As an 18 year old newly wed I thought my sister in law was just telling old wives tales when she said to be sure it was a sunny day when I made divinity. Well, turns out she was right. Candy like divinity, fudge or peanut brittle made on a cloudy day will never set up.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Your mom's recipe seems to be the one that use to be on the back of the Hershey Cocoa can. I watched my grandmother make it many many times. Never scrap the sides of the pan when stirring is all I remember.
This was the one my grandmother, mother and then myself made . I am very particular of my fudge and never has found a better one. Bet the comments by onebyone are the same as my relatives and your mom's.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Wow! Thank you for all of your responses. I stirred it a lot as it boiled because that seemed like the right thing to do, and now I know.....Hands off! Thank you for the recipe too. You're right, the details make the difference. I will get out the candy thermometer though I do remember Mom and the soft ball testing.... I knew this board would have my answers!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 12-04-2014, 02:39 PM

A few years ago I made fudge by using a recipe by Alton Brown. I followed the directions---- perfect results!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe.print.html
Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM

This is the one we used to make
Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Chop up the grainy fudge and sprinkle it over vanilla ice cream!