Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mock Chicken Legs

As a child did anyone ever have Mock Chicken Legs. There were two kinds, in school they served one that was ground meat in the shape of a chicken leg, on a wooden stick with breading.
    But the one I am thinking of was chunks of meat (maybe pork and veal or something) on a wooden stick, dipped in egg and coated with what I seem to remember some type of dry soup mix (ranch or blue cheese) and bread crumbs and they were then pan fried.
    Does anyone have an idea how they were made, the second verison.
    Thanks

Yes I remember those...In fact I was trying to think what they were called! Thanks for jarring the memory! I don't know the recipe though! Sorry

Blog Entries
    Around here we call it city chicken - I use the ones that are chunks of pork - some do alternate pork and veal . Roll them in eggs, then in bread crumbs, brown on the stove top, then put in the oven and bake 350 for about an hour or until tender. Add water to the baking dish and if you want to , cover with some onions

is that what you were wondering ?

Ahhh, yes! City chicken is what we called them. I alternate beef and pork on a skewer, dip in egg, then bread crumbs, fry till golden, bake over an hour with lots of onion in between the layers. So very good!

Blog Entries
    we used to eat them at least once a week when I was growing up. The recipe given here by Sweet sounds like how my grandmother made them. Loved them.

Blog Entries
    Never heard of them ..........gee what I learn from this site........calla

Blog Entries
    This is a great site, thank you so much

Once when my dad was out of town my mom served them (the 1st ones you described) to us kids & they were AWFUL! She was a pretty good cook & we still (40 yrs later!) tease her about making them!

I'm in the never heard of them camp. Doesn't sound appealing either, but we all like things we grew up with.

Mine is grits and dippy eggs.

Vicky

I grew up in western Pa. and you could buy a package of beef and veal with the sticks in all the grocery stores. Loved City Chicken. Thanks for the memories. I tried making once but they just weren't quite as good.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of these before. But, they sound like they might be pretty good.

I remember them too, and loved them.

Have not seen them in years.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    yep, we called it city chicken also. we always had them on skewers. us kids loved em! ah memories

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Around here we call it city chicken - I use the ones that are chunks of pork - some do alternate pork and veal . Roll them in eggs, then in bread crumbs, brown on the stove top, then put in the oven and bake 350 for about an hour or until tender. Add water to the baking dish and if you want to , cover with some onions

is that what you were wondering ?

So did I---grow up in western PA, that is. City chicken was the big treat when I stayed at my grandmother's house in Transfer, PA near Sharon each summer. You used to be able to buy it at the meat markets, I think, but I haven't heard of it in years and elsewhere in the country, no one's heard of it!

I remember those. We called them "City Chicken"
    My step mother used to make them. She was a great cook.
    She used veal and pork. Seems like she dipped them on egg also.

Worked for a caterer many yrs ago --Ukranian/ Croation group.
    I had never had this "City Chicken " on a screwer before.
    Made with pork/veal, egged and breaded then piled high in a roast pan to bake. Commonly served at weddings but made at home also.

sorry double post

hmmm ymmmmm sure sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by chickadeee55
    As a child did anyone ever have Mock Chicken Legs. There were two kinds, in school they served one that was ground meat in the shape of a chicken leg, on a wooden stick with breading.
    But the one I am thinking of was chunks of meat (maybe pork and veal or something) on a wooden stick, dipped in egg and coated with what I seem to remember some type of dry soup mix (ranch or blue cheese) and bread crumbs and they were then pan fried.
    Does anyone have an idea how they were made, the second verison.
    Thanks

We called it city chicken. Veal and Pork

I make it and its called city chicken. veal and pork dipped in egg and breadcrumbs. brown and then put in over. I mix 1 cup of water with one boullion cube and pour over and bake. mmm mmm good.

Blog Entries
    There's a recipe on All Recipes that is good.I don't use the skewers....just bake for an hr in chicken broth & seasonings.Very good served over mashed potatoes or noodles.

Yep, city chicken. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and mom made it all the time. So do I - I just made them last week. You can still buy the meat cubes packaged with the skewers, but they don't add in the veal. Veal is just so expensive these days. Sometimes I buy the veal separately and alternate them with the pork. We bread them, brown in a skillet and finish in the oven. They are supposed to imitate fried chicken so we always had them crispy, not served with gravy or sauce or cooked onions or any of that. Some others would disagree, guess it's all in the way your mom did it.

The story goes that years and years and years ago, city dwellers could not buy chicken in the stores. Why? I don't know, but you had to live on a farm and raise chickens in order to get real fried chicken. So someone "invented" city chicken. The pork was the "dark" meat and the veal was the "white" meat, they were alternated on skewers (the "chicken drumstick bone"), breaded with flour, egg and bread crumbs (German style like schnitzel) and fried. (They were supposed to imitate chicken drumsticks.) Hence, city chicken!

My mom fixed city chicken with pork and beef. She dipped them in egg then rolled them in saltine cracker crumbs, browned in a fry pan and then placed in a dish and poured milk on them. Bake in the oven until tender.