Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Mustard and BBQ >
  • Mustard and BBQ

• Mustard and BBQ

Old 05-24-2024, 04:04 AM

Default Mustard and BBQ

We BBQ on the weekend. DD made the best marinade by slathering yellow mustard and spices on the fajitas to be left overnight, then grilled. Heavenly!
    Well, I had a package of boneless chicken thighs, and I thought we could try the marinade overnight on them. Amazing!

Theeeen, I tried it last night on some chicken tenders, but I had to use oven because DH wasn't available to work the grill. They were ok, but still a little yellow. I guess the grill does something, maybe hotter?
    Old 05-24-2024, 06:36 AM

Ahhhh, I just ate and now you are making me hungry again!!!
    Old 05-24-2024, 08:38 AM

mustard sound divine. I may try that on some lamb chops that I bought on sale yesterday.
    Old 05-24-2024, 12:50 PM
    Power Poster

And I just can't take mustard at all except for small amounts of Dijon - we are all different! What is the saying that is something like " ...is the spice of life". I want to say diversity or differences.
    Old 05-24-2024, 03:38 PM

The hubby has always been anti-mustard. He is slowly changing his mind, there is an Ingerhoffer (original) he likes. He found one of his favorite pork dishes I cook uses dijon.

Recently we (finally) used the huge electronic pellet smoker we bought last fall. Recipe is simple, slather a pork butt or shoulder with yellow mustard and then add Montreal seasoning or at least cracked pepper and granulated garlic. with a heavy hand and cook long and slow for hours and hours.

He was kind of cautious of the amount I was using, but agreed that when it was done cooking that it basically disappeared as mustard. I considered him a pretty picky eater when we met, and he still gets things in his head to convince himself not to try stuff. So I just don't mention that my version of pulled pork uses apple cider vinegar either!
    Old 05-26-2024, 12:01 AM

Mustard based BBQ sauces are pretty traditional and very popular in the central areas of South Carolina. They are generally served in almost all bbq places in all of South Carolina. You can also find bottled mustard based sauces in grocery stores and are sometimes called "Carolina Gold". The recipes are many and varied.
    My basic recipe is yellow mustard, cider vinegar, brown sugar or honey, salt pepper, Worcestershire sauce, sometimes a dash of liquid smoke. Some people put hot sauce or cayenne in theirs. I start with 1/2 to 3/4 cup mustard and add a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp worcestershire, put all in saucepan heat gently and then just add more of any ingredient until it tastes like I want. Some people add honey, or cayenne. It is really good on grilled chicken, but put it on at the end because the sugar will burn. Also perfect on pulled pork and ribs.
    A google search of mustard based bbq sauce recipes will turn up a lot of recipes. Very easy recipe to get just how you like it.
    Also check out Alabama White sauce which is Alabama's BBQ sauce. It is pretty good and a different taste.
    Old 05-26-2024, 03:30 AM

The mustard was used as a marinade, not a bbq sauce. The mustard "disappears" in the grilling process. Did not have a mustard taste at all.
    Old 06-03-2024, 03:17 AM

Update. We fried fresh fish last night. I slathered the filets with yellow mustard and then breaded them. I was skeptic, but went for it. They did not turn yellow, and tasted great! I will do that again.
    Old 06-05-2024, 03:25 AM

I’m still laughing at myself. When I read the title I thought it was the title to a pattern and wondered what it would be. Then I read the category it was under and realized my mistake. Patterns have some strange names and I thought this was one of them. Some days I guess my sanity!
    Old 06-05-2024, 11:51 AM

In the BBQ world, mustard is quite often used as a binder to adhere spice rubs to the meat, which are then usually smoked low and slow (as opposed to grilling, which is hot and fast). In my opinion, the mustard doesn't show up much in the flavor because the spices in the rub take over, and there's always bbq sauce, too.
    Best gift I ever got myself - oops, I mean my husband 🤣 - was a smoker. Now I spend my summer evenings sitting on the deck, drinking my cocktails and watching him cook.