Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
My new grilled cheese >

My new grilled cheese

My new grilled cheese

Old 02-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default My new grilled cheese

For lunch, I made my grilled cheese sandwich with two different cheeses the other day and absolutely loved it!

I had artisan sourdough bread and sliced Muenster and Havarti cheese from Kroger, so I used 2 slices of cheese plain on the bread, spread it outside with softened butter, and grilled it on my flat iron skillet.

Crunchy, melty, cheesy, divine!! Something about the bread choice gave it a very slight tang and the flavor of the cheeses was different than the usual American or cheddar. I had Kroger brand Creamy Tomato Soup with it, too. https://www.kroger.com/topic/soups

Wonderful on one of our still chilly days! My new favorite grilled cheese sammie!

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 02-11-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Love grilled cheese!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:09 PM

Trader Joe's has a sourdough black rye that I absolutely love to make grilled cheese. I also mix cheeses -- sometimes I use the Mexican shredded mix. I was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives a while back ant they showed a cheeseburger that had cheese browning around the edges -- I tried it with grilled cheese and quesadillas and the browned cheese is yummy.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

JanInVA ... You can never go wrong with cheese .... and grilled cheese is definitely a number one comfort food!
No offense, but for me it is not a cold weather food, but year round delight!

A different twist .... slice some tart apples and put between the cheeses and bread.
Not something I want all the time, but a nice change-up!

QuiltNLady1 ... oh my, you have me thinking how good rye bread could be. I usually just go with my staple 12 grain bread. But now you have me thinking!

All right Everyone ..... Please share your other twists on the classic grilled cheese!

Yes, I am hijacking your thread, JanInVA! but I have a feeling you won't mind this one.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:20 AM

Sounds yummy! Do you open up the sandwich after it's grilled and spread on some sweet pickle relish?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:53 AM

I have been buttering my bread with mayo instead of butter to grill, it's really good. I also like tomato on my grilled cheese but tomato soup would work!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:55 AM

A long time ago when I lived in Virginia, a man told me to try making my grilled cheese sandwich with sourdough bread. I tried it with my trusty (you slice it off the brick) Velveeta cheese and he was right about it being delicious. I haven't tried it with other cheeses but your sandwich sounds great so I'll try it.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Turkey + Cranberries + Mozzarella Grilled Cheese !!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 AM

I love grilled cheese. Have to eat gluten free bread, is not quite the same but still good. Yours sounds wonderful.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 AM

I like grilled cheese sammies with lots of bead and cheese combinations and it soul food to me. One of my favorites is a good quality white bread spread with a thin layer of refried beans, add a whole Anaheim or Big Jim green chile, add a slice (or two) of Monterey Jack cheese and grill. Wonderful!