Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
My new grilled cheese >

My new grilled cheese

My new grilled cheese

Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Sounds yummy. I like to make grilled cheese in my George Foreman grill, like a panini. I butter the outside of the bread first. Will try mayo next time.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:02 AM

I love grilled cheese. My DH always wants his made with only American cheese. I use all different kinds of cheese and bread. My current favorite is gouda and swiss. I like to put the bread in a dry skillet and toast one side so the inside is crispy, before grilling. I sometimes add avocado and a tiny bit of chopped onion. Also good with a fried egg added. Then it makes a perfect meal. Yum! One of our favorite fast dinners.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 AM

I was reading a magazine in the doctor's office last week, and they said to use mayonnaise instead of butter on the bread. I have not tried it, but my husband did and he said it was delicious. The mayo browns slower and gives the cheese more time to melt.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I always use mayo on the outside of my grilled cheese. It makes it moister to me . So much easier to spread also. I love swiss,cheddar and smoked ham. Yummy.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

REading all these recipes and getting hungry.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

No one has mentioned ...... good ol' grilled cheese with bacon ..... or ham.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... and with that, I think I know what my lunch today will be!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM

I love grilled cheese but I'm not too fond of cheese in general, so I just use 1 slice of American on mine. Sometimes a little onion. I eat them year around but in the winter, like Jan, I have to have tomato soup too. It is a great combo on a cold day. I do like the mild Colby cheese my brother brings up from KY. He buys big round & long tube-like cheese from the Meninites . Not sure of spelling. So good!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM

We have these long-handled sandwich makers for in the campfire and grilled cheese is one of our camping go-to treats. We use a variety of combinations of cheeses and breads; it seems no pairing doesn't work. Also really good toasted over the fire (or on the griddle) is a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

My grade 8 home economics teacher taught us to spread the inside with hamburger relish. The red relish that she used is no longer available in Canada.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:33 AM

In the summer, I marinate cucumbers and roma tomatoes in Greek salad dressing, then make a grilled sandwich with them and some provolone cheese (but any mild white cheese would work). Sometimes I add sliced turkey if I want some meat.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
mac

Oh my, my cholesterol count just went up by 10 points! Gosh, I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich in so long, my mouth is just watering. I really miss them.

I usually make my grilled cheese open-faced. I toast the bread and then put a slice and a half of cheese on the bread to make sure the whole piece of bread is covered with cheese. Then I put it under the broiler until the cheese gets brown and toasty, but not burnt. I do it this way for a quick snack and to keep the calories down by not using butter or mayonnaise. By the way, I use any type of cheese I have and sometimes combined different cheeses.

Sometimes I add some sliced ham under the cheese for a ham and cheese melt.