Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
My new grilled cheese >

My new grilled cheese

My new grilled cheese

Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM

Grilled pimento cheese is really good too.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I think the artisan sour dough makes all the difference in the world. I love Panera sour dough, the closest I have ever had to authentic San Francisco sour dough I was raised on. Any grilled type sandwich is better on sourdough! I won't make any kind of panini without it.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm so glad there are many of you who love artisan sour dough bread! It's really the only bread I eat.

The brand I use most is called Ecce Panis, carried by our Kroger. It's sold in a whole loaf, unsliced, which I often slice at the store rather than at home. It's as close to crusty outside/slightly firm inside European bread as I've had since I lived in Germany.

The day I bring it home fresh, I just HAVE to have a slice slathered with cold unsalted butter! That's the Euro habit in me, too, I guess, LOL!

It's interesting how many of you like to add things to your grilled cheese sandwich. I'm a 'purist' who rarely does. I really like just the flavors of the bread and cheese alone. Fun responses!

Jan in VA
Old 02-18-2017, 07:43 PM

I have found that rather than using butter, I use mayo on the outside of the bread. Of course I put in a layer of meat (ham or roast beef) between the cheese. Now I am getting hungry, and I just ate! The best bread is usually the Italian loaf I make at home. But then I try to make all my bread, seems to be better for me.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Love me a good ole grill cheese in the Summer I must have thinly sliced garden tomatoes on it with a little mayo,,,In the Winter I like dill pickle slices and mayo,,,Jan,you're sounds so delish
Old 02-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
We have these long-handled sandwich makers for in the campfire and grilled cheese is one of our camping go-to treats. We use a variety of combinations of cheeses and breads; it seems no pairing doesn't work. Also really good toasted over the fire (or on the griddle) is a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

My grade 8 home economics teacher taught us to spread the inside with hamburger relish. The red relish that she used is no longer available in Canada.
I could be wrong but I think hamburger relish is just ketchup and sweet pickle relish. You could just make your own.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

We always make ours with american cheese and serve with canned bean and bacon soup.
Sometimes we put ham slice with the cheese.
We always spread soft margarine on the outside side of bread.
Life is too short to give up favorite foods.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:17 PM

I love grilled cheese and a nice hot bowl of tomato soup and cold days. We also like our grilled cheese with a slice of ham added and a small salad during the summer.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 PM

I love grilled cheese with all kinds of cheese. American is my least favorite and I don't usually have any but it will do in pinch. I love it grilled well done with the edges of the bread crunchy. Slow cooked until the cheese is all melted! Very occasionally do I add some ham. Great with tomato soup!

If anyone is in touch with Jan please let her know she is dearly missed!

Last edited by susiequilt; 03-05-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by CMQUILTER View Post
I could be wrong but I think hamburger relish is just ketchup and sweet pickle relish. You could just make your own.
Not quite the same, but close. Have tried adding tartar sauce as well, but still not quite the same. Might have to put it down to aging taste buds.