Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need advice on hard boiled eggs >

need advice on hard boiled eggs

need advice on hard boiled eggs

Old 10-09-2022, 03:35 PM

Peckish--I was at the end of my string with testing and wanted to try both and never thought about the reaction of using both. I will try the IP again when I can focus only on doing a pot of eggs.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:51 AM

After reading this thread when it was started, I needed to make some hard boiled eggs. I remembered a method I had used many years ago, but for some reason stopped doing it.

Use a strong pin or tack (washed, of course) to make a hole in the wider end of the egg, where there is often a little air pocket. You don't want to push the pin in all the way, just through the shell. Then proceed as usual.

I got my pin out and tried it, and I am convinced that it really does make a difference. I had already tried using vinegar, and while I found it made the shell itself softer, it is the inside membrane that I have trouble getting off the egg without damaging the white, and the vinegar made no difference with that.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:21 AM

peaceandjoy--I have seen/heard about doing the pin hole. The microwave cooker they have shown on tv, has a built-in pin to do their steamed eggs. I believe that is what I have had the most problem with--removing the membrane and not destroy the egg.

Do you do stove top or in an electric pressure cooker.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:44 AM

I never could get pretty peeled boiled eggs UNTIL I got the Ciusinart Egg Central. Always peel wonderfully. I cannot do 24 at a time, but it is "put in the cooker" and forget until you hear the beeper. I would not want to be without this cooker now. I do have an IP, but this is so easy and dependable.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:29 AM

Murphy224, what basket do you use in the IP. I would really like to do the 24 eggs at one time.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I got my method online. Cover eggs with 1" water, cook until the water starts to boil, cover the pot, remove pot from heat, and wait 9 minutes. Then dump eggs in ice water. I seldom have any problems peeling them, but haven't tried it with brown eggs or really fresh eggs.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:06 PM

LOVE my Black & Decker steamer. Makes perfect brown & white rice, steams all vegetables. Yesterday I had 4 apples in the fruit bowl so I peeled them & steamed them until done then mashed with potato masher with a bit of sugar & cinnamon for warm chunky applesauce. I’ve just discovered my steamer makes great HARD BOILED EGGS too. When water comes to boil, set steamer bowl & eggs over the water. Steam 13 minutes then transfer eggs to cool water. Steamers are low cost and the best thing is they turn off when time is up.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:26 AM

I can't remember where I got mine - maybe kohls. Have had it for several years. Did a quick search and can't find one like mine. It seems that most of them have a single handle but mine has two little handles on opposite sides. I use it for eggs and veggies.
The main thing is to get one that sits off the bottom of the pot. Oh and I have the 6 qt instant pot, size matters in instant pot accessories lol.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:38 AM

Thank you Murphy224 for the info. I have the 8qt IP and I do have a metal 'basket' that is 2 1/4" tall with 2 swing handles but NO legs. When the handles are straight up, they are 5" tall from the bottom of it. Stamped in the center bottom is a crown with the letters SUS and 304. I have used it for vegetables and just put canning rings under it.
I got the silicone basket, but the eggs were not cooked enough doing the 5-5-5, am guessing the thickness of the silicone made a difference.

How many eggs would you be able to do in your IP.
I will need to get more eggs and do all 24 in the IP, in the metal basket but cook a little longer to insure drier yolks.
I have got to get this right because a church friend is in the last stages/days of her cancer.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:16 AM

I use a regular veggie steamer like this one for my eggs in the IP. It stands above the water about an inch. Multi-taskers for the win!