Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need advice on hard boiled eggs >

need advice on hard boiled eggs

need advice on hard boiled eggs

Old 10-11-2022, 11:28 AM

Peckish, I actually had one of those at one time, it got broken. How many eggs have you been able to do with your steamer.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
peaceandjoy--I have seen/heard about doing the pin hole. The microwave cooker they have shown on tv, has a built-in pin to do their steamed eggs. I believe that is what I have had the most problem with--removing the membrane and not destroy the egg.

Do you do stove top or in an electric pressure cooker.
I do them on the stove, traditional method (add eggs to cold water and put on stove). My daughter uses a method for all boiled eggs - soft or hard - where she brings the water to a boil first, then puts eggs in. I did use it for soft boiled once, and they turned out perfectly - but as I have the other method memorized, it's just my go to.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Peckish, I actually had one of those at one time, it got broken. How many eggs have you been able to do with your steamer.
I think a dozen was the most I've ever done, I was making deviled eggs for a dinner party and figured 24 (halves) was enough. But there's plenty of room for more in the IP.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:53 PM

My FINAL test was today. I got my farm eggs this morning and after lunch I cooked some.

I used 1 1/2 cups water in my 8qt IP along with a splash of white vinegar. set my metal basket on canning rings and then started with the eggs. I had a pushpin and made a tiny hole in the big end of each egg. I used 12 each of big (mixed colors) and brown poulet sized eggs. Then I set the IP for 9 minutes on High, natural release for 5 minutes and quick released. All went into a dish of ice water but quickly started cracking each one by rolling on the counter and then back in the water. ALL peeled very well but one did have a flaw and I cut that one open and the yolks are perfectly dry enough for deviled eggs.
I have my notes all set to use again when I need eggs for a church meal.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their versions of cooking perfect boiled eggs. You all are a treasure to keep.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:30 PM

I just wanted to add a useful tip. Put your boiled egg in a jar about the size of a salsa jar. Put several inches of water in the jar, put the lid on an shake it up. If you will be making a lot of boiled egss, this might help with peeling them. I also use tongs to pick up the eggs when they are hot.