Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Recipe for Sausage Gravy >

Need Recipe for Sausage Gravy

Need Recipe for Sausage Gravy

Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Which brand and flavor mix do you use?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM

You can't go wrong just using the sausage and gravy. Sausage alone is good and gravy alone is good, so no big deal.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM

I was never quite happy with my sausage gravy until a friend from Kentucky gave me her secret recipe. Brown a pound of sausage and break it up. Our favorite is Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean. Add about 1/3 of a box of Kentucky Colonels seasoned flour. Stir to mix it in. Add milk until it looks good ( maybe about 1 qt to 1 1/2 quarts) I dont measure it.Stir poften and bring to a simmer. Everyone raves about my gravy. So easy.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 AM

My mother being from the south made this gravy a lot. We called it milk gravy. You can add cooked, crumbled sausage to it. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in pan ( depending how much gravy you want) & let it got hot. Stir in flour until thick& brown. I use high heat. Then pour in milk stirring all the time until it thins out to gravy (depends how thick or thin you want it) I also use some water to thin, Ktichen Boquet for a little browning if desired. This will continue to get thick so add more milk or water & turn off. Put in cooked sausage & you have southern sausage gravy. This gravy is great with fried chicken (draining most oil from pan using the drippings in pan, no sausage) & same for fried cube steak, or chicken fried steak as some refer to it. The milk gravy is great on bisquits with the sausage too. Just don't have a cholestrol test too soon after eating this, lol.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltnLady1;5508791]A good friend just went on hospice and some of us are bringing food to her extended family at the house. She used to make an awesome sausage gravy and I would like to take some. I know it is probably one of those "handful of this and handful of that" heritage recipes, but I would appreciate you folks who make it try. (I know she made a flour gravy).

Do you live near a Sam's Warehouse? If so you can purchase a box with three pkgs of gravy mix in it. I use this mix all the time for taking to Church for our after services Fellowship on Sunday mornings. I cook a lb. of Owens sausage, make sure it is well cooked and no pink - drain, then mix the gravy mixture according to the directions on the pkg. and add my sausage to it. I normally put this in a large crock pot, I make about half a pkg., and this will serve about 30 people, I also buy the large canned biscuits to serve with it, the lazy person that I am. This is how I do my sausage GRAVY. If I am cooking sausage for us at home, I just cook my sausage until done, take up sausage and use the grease from the sausage (may not need all that was left in pan, you can always add), add about a tablespoon to a tbl. & 1/2 flour a little at a time to make a paste not really thick, but not thin either, add a little milk at a time, stirring constantly, then season with salt and pepper to taste. The gravy will thicken as it cools, so be sure you don't make it realy thick with lots of flour, and that you add enough milk to allow it to thicken and not be watery, then season with salt and pepper to taste. This is not meant to be tacky, but making gravy is not really an art, but does take practice to get the consistency each indiv. prefers. Good luck - hope your friend is soon well and up and about.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Ok I have read all of the ways everyone makes southern gravy. Mine is made basicly like bonnie's posted reciepe.
There is only one who says to brown the flour. It is a light brown that you are looking for before adding the milk at a steady stream while wisking the flour from the bottom of the pan. At first you may think you have ruined it. But, keep going... it turns into a smooth gravy. Keep it at a med-high heat and keep stirring the bottom of the pan. This is the part that is the most important. Don't let it stick. It will turn into gravy pretty quick.
The browning of the flour is the flavor of the gravy.

Reheating gravy is a little on the hard side if you are taking it to her house. Like someone said, add milk to thin it, but, don't add any more than you have to.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-14-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM

you can also use the alternative "milks" such as almond, rice or the boxed coconut milks ( not the tins) rather than the milk if you might haven any allergic or lactose intolerant folks eating this. i do this whenever i'm cooking for potlucks etc. now. i have food allergies and am gluten intolerant so i know how hard it can be to eat at church fellowship meals. there are several others in our congregation with the Celiacs (gluten) issues and it is so nice to be able to eat without my tummy hurting. Better than funeral fellowship, i attended last weekend at another church where everything on the table would have made my tummy hurt.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM

you can also use the alternative "milks" such as almond, rice or the boxed coconut milks ( not the tins) rather than the milk if you might haven any allergic or lactose intolerant folks eating this. i do this whenever i'm cooking for potlucks etc. now. i have food allergies and am gluten intolerant so i know how hard it can be to eat at church fellowship meals. there are several others in our congregation with the Celiacs (gluten) issues and it is so nice to be able to eat without my tummy hurting. Better than funeral fellowship, i attended last weekend at another church where everything on the table would have made my tummy hurt.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jodyma View Post
I'm from the mountains of Western North Carolina where sausage gravy is an art. There are as many ways to prepare it as there are ways to prepare potatoe salad. I have to make a big confession(hope my mom is not listening), I NOW USE MIXES!!!!!!! I take one bag of mix, prepare it as the directions say(microwave) and add 1/4 cup of crumbled precooked sausage and VOILA---sausage gravy. Haven't heard a complaint yet from my dh who grew up on cat head biscuits and saw mill gravy----shhhh, secret, I also use frozen Mary B. biscuits.
I won't tell if you won't.
I was born in asheville my sister showed me how to make gravy when she found out i can't. well shhhhhh. i still can't and guess what i go get it in mixes at the store too. also i can't have the grease from the sauage so it works out good. DH knows nothing about cooking so he doen't know the diference, LOL PS I use baby grands by pillsbury bisquits here. back in california bought the already made in the freezer section. cause you can use my bisquits as weapons .

Last edited by crtwelvecats; 09-14-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:08 AM

I don't know where or what part of the country you live, but I found something in the store, Food Lion, and may be in other stores. (Walmart maybe) go to the gravy mix isle, there are country sausage gravy mix there, I do add some more sausage to my ingredients, this is so flavorful and all, give it a try. oh yes the ladies above are soooo right, I used to make my own too, but found this and really is good...