Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No Bake Cheese Cake

No Bake Cheese Cake

Havent mafe tgis yet as I have found that the date has expied about 6 months ago. Would this still be good to make?

Would you post more information please.

If all the pieces are unopened, then yes, it is safe to make. There have been numerous studies done about expiration dates and how for the most part they are meaningless. They are indicators of freshness, not spoilage. I keep fresh mild around for coffee and baking. Milk will stay fresh in my refrigerator for up to 3-4 weeks past the date printed on the carton.

I have to agree with paoberle. We all managed to survive before expiration dates came into the scene.

Milk - fresh 3-4 was after exp. date? I usually just give it 10 days - maybe. It seems the container, wax or plastic smells like old milk.....I think I'm going to begin putting milk into a glass jug...like the old glass milk bottles!

I'd use it as long the packaged cheesecake as it didn't smell 'off'. Six months past the expiration date isn't very long.

We lived for years with no dates on our foods. Personally, I think it's a good way for waste and selling more food. Grant you chips, crackers and bagged snacks can age and taste stale, fresh only lasts so long. But canned, boxed and frozen last a long time. Frozen, especially if it is done in one of the seal a meals and kept in a 0 degree freezer. I keep my cake and pancake mixes in the refrigerator.

Blog Entries
    I have a small flock of chickens. So no food goes to waste. Makes me feel better about choosing to toss food for any reason.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    I have to agree with paoberle. We all managed to survive before expiration dates came into the scene.
    Isn't that the truth!

Blog Entries
    I never really noticed expiration dates on my canned food. One day I took out a can of creamed corn, and it had expired a year ago. I opened the can and OMG it looked awful. The can wasn't bulging or anything. No way was I going to smell it! Lesson learned - Don't give expired canned goods to the food shelf.

After looking up the ingredients in a no bake cheesecake box mix, you should be able to tell by smelling the mix. If it smells acrid like rancid oil or butter, throw it out.

I often find that there is a build up of dried milk around the container opening that smells sour. When I'm in doubt about the milk in the container, I pour some into a glass and then smell to see if it is still fresh. More often than not it's still ok but keep in mind that it would be a good idea to drink soon or keep it for baking.

I always smell and do a visual inspection of expired items before cooking or consuming. When in doubt, it gets tossed out. So far I've suffered no harm.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

"Best Before" doesn't mean "Bad After" it just means that the company has decided that the product is at optimum quality at that date.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    "Best Before" doesn't mean "Bad After" it just means that the company has decided that the product is at optimum quality at that date.

Watson
    ..... right on! ............. though it should be noted that a product may not last until it's Best Before Date, because of how we the consumer have handled and cared for it.

A prime example is milk ... how long was it out of refrigeration from when you purchased it in the store until you got home? Was it -22C for that drive? or +38C? Is it removed from the frig, glass poured and returned to the frig? Or does it sit on the table for an hour during a meal? Or longer, while family members come and go from the table? Is the container/bag closed/sealed between uses? Or opportunities for cross contamination with other foods? etc.

This is just an example using milk, but you can take the same concept and cross it over to other food items.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

To tell if milk is spoiled, pour some into hot liquid, tea, coffee, or plain water. If bad it will curdle.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

We go through about 4 gallons of milk a week, one daughter is a huge milk drinker. However, I have noticed that if the milk gets near the expiration date, usually it starts tasting strange a day before the expiration date.