Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parchment Paper

Power Poster

Parchment Paper

I have a couple of Wilton four-cavity loaf pans that look like they should be a "quick-release" version.

They are NOT! It was very frustrating having half of each loaf remain in the pan!

I finally learned that parchment paper is, indeed, my friend.

I have started lining the entire cavity with parchment paper and the loaves plop out as slick as can be !
    It is a bit of a bother doing so, but not nearly as aggravating as having the bread stick to the pan.

Blog Entries
    Martha Stewart uses parchment paper a lot - one trick - she wads it up into a crumpled mess - then it is easier to handle in a pan. I use it to line my rimmed baking sheet when I bake my bacon - cleanup is a breeze - I just pour off the bacon grease and save it - then put the parchment paper in a plastic grocery bag and then into the trash.
    Nikki in MO

Power Poster
    I love the stuff for easy release of loaf pans.
    Last edited by Tartan; 10-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I love using Parchment paper also for my bacon every things better with bacon grease ,,I also use it in my cake pans

NikkiLu,I do the same as you in a plastic grocery bag toss in the trash

What do you do with saved bacon grease nowadays? Used to be we had a container on the back of the stove and the grease was strained into that. It was used for frying later but didn't they decide that was unhealthy? (Well, isn't everything?)

Blog Entries
    I just sold my bakery/specialty food store about 3 weeks ago but snagged a pile of parchment/sheet pan liners. We also used them when when we pans of brownies...you can remove the whole pan and then cut them neatly into squares on a cutting board without having to fuss with getting the first brownie out of the pan unharmed.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Love my parchment paper too! It's so much better than spraying the pan with spray grease.

mac
    Alton Brown said on several of his shows that non-stick pans still need to be sprayed with an oil-base or silicon-base spray. I love my parchment paper. By the way there are a lot of uses for parchment paper. Look it up on the internet for uses for parchment paper.

By the way, I think "non-stick pans" is another misnomer or oxymoron that needs to be changed. Similar to "quilt in a day" -- I wish.

Blog Entries
    Bacon grease is saved for later use, never thrown away. Used oil goes into an empty coffee can that sits on the back if the stove. Then the container when full is put into a plastic bag and out with the garbage. If I fry something and the oil is still clean and can be reused. I strain it and put into a container and stored in the fridge
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Mac, I agree. I always lightly spray my non stick pans. Parchment paper is also great to put on top of foil to keep the food away from the foil where it can pickup the metallic taste
    Judy

I get many catalogs and I found loaf pan and round cake pan liners (similar to cupcake papers) at Starcrest of California. They are made of parchment. I used the round cake pan liners the other day and they made it so easy to remove cake layers from their pans! You might want to look into these liners.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I use parchment paper when baking cookies too. I also save bacon grease in the refrigerator. I use it for flavoring veggies and such. Just a small teaspoon in broccoli is so good. Or put a teaspoonful in a frypan,drain green beans . heat up beans and onions and mushrooms with a little garlic powder. Quick and tasty. Lots of uses for it.
    Mary

Power Poster
    I use the bacon grease - we like the flavor it adds to eggs, potatoes, and other vegetables.

We paid for that, too!

I use the preshaped pan liners in the UK from the store can't remember if I've seen them in $ doors. They are parchment paper but shaped in the size of various pans and cake tins, also saves washing up

mac
    romanojg, that is a great idea. I do that especially when I am using foil to cover something that has tomato sauce on it. The first time I put foil on a plate of spaghetti, I was shocked to see the holes in the foil when I took it out of the refrigerator. Called Reynold's Wrap and they explained about the acid in tomatoes.

Here is the article about 50 ways to use parchment paper from King Arthur Flour:

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2014...MzgwNjE2NDYwS0

I love parchment paper when making chocolate chip cookies. Cleanup is so much easier. Plus I use it as tracing paper when I am quilting.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I also use parchment paper a lot when baking. I use it to sketch out all my quilting projects, and constantly "doodle" and quick sketch with tons of notes.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    I use parchment paper when baking cookies too. I also save bacon grease in the refrigerator. I use it for flavoring veggies and such. Just a small teaspoon in broccoli is so good. Or put a teaspoonful in a frypan,drain green beans . heat up beans and onions and mushrooms with a little garlic powder. Quick and tasty. Lots of uses for it.
    I too save bacon grease, have it in a container in the refer. I use it for flavoring. It is wonderful with green beans, and a tad in country gravy is great. Everyone saved bacon grease in a container when I was growing up, and I still do.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

Another firm believer in parchment paper. A tip: watch for after holiday sales, especially Christmas. I have been lucky enough to find rolls of parchment paper on sale for half or more off, more so if the box has holiday designs on it. The last ones I bought were 70% off at Michaels. Needless to say I bought five boxes and am down to my last 2.

Blog Entries
    What to do with bacon grease. I have a stainless steel, about one pint, container with a strainer. Got it at an Amish household goods store. I make suet cakes for the birds using some bacon grease and some lard and what ever else I can gather. Bacon grease is not as solid as lard and makes for crumbly cakes if you use too much.

Got mine at Sam's Club. It is a big roll and reasonably priced. Use it to catch dripping from pies on a pan underneath

the .I think I use it more than any paper I have in the kitchen.
    Linda J.

Blog Entries
    I trace quilting designs onto it, pint to quilted item, and sew on the outline. Have a quilted design that isn't too wonky and the parchment paper tears off easily. If stubborn, a wet qtip traced along the thread line loosens the paper nicely. I do use mine for baking too but more for quilting.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I love parchment paper. Best thing for the kitchen since wine openers......LOL

I use it all the time even in my "non-stick" baking pans (cake pans, sheet pans, loaf pans etc.).
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
    I get many catalogs and I found loaf pan and round cake pan liners (similar to cupcake papers) at Starcrest of California. They are made of parchment. I used the round cake pan liners the other day and they made it so easy to remove cake layers from their pans! You might want to look into these liners.
    It is much less expensive to buy it on a roll at the grocery store, and trace the shape of the pan and cut it out...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    What do you do with saved bacon grease nowadays? Used to be we had a container on the back of the stove and the grease was strained into that. It was used for frying later but didn't they decide that was unhealthy? (Well, isn't everything?)
    Remember when we were told to use oleo instead of butter? Not so. Now they know butter is better for you. Fry your potatoes, eggs, etc. in the bacon fat. Tastes soooo much better.
    Remember when they told us not to eat eggs? Not so. Eggs are good for you.
    Remember when they told us to use low fat or no fat? Not so. Fat is good food for your brain. Eating fat does not make you fat. Eating fat makes you feel full.

They are always changing what they tell you. I'm sticking with the original: eat natural things with little to no sugar.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast