Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Parchment Paper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Remember when we were told to use oleo instead of butter? Not so. Now they know butter is better for you. Fry your potatoes, eggs, etc. in the bacon fat. Tastes soooo much better.
    Remember when they told us not to eat eggs? Not so. Eggs are good for you.
    Remember when they told us to use low fat or no fat? Not so. Fat is good food for your brain. Eating fat does not make you fat. Eating fat makes you feel full.

They are always changing what they tell you. I'm sticking with the original: eat natural things with little to no sugar.
    Amen!!! IF there was a like button, I'd be using it.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I lightly grease my loaf pans and fill. When the baked goods come from the oven, I set them on a cooling rack and SET TIMER for 10 minutes, then when timer goes off, tip them over and loaf comes out beautiful. Too soon or too late doesn’t work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    What do you do with saved bacon grease nowadays? Used to be we had a container on the back of the stove and the grease was strained into that. It was used for frying later but didn't they decide that was unhealthy? (Well, isn't everything?)
    Yes, they decided it was unhealthy. I just read this week, though, that there was no science behind that decision. They just thought it was true and announced it. However, they are now finding that you need saturated fat for your brain.

bkay

I don't know how our ancestors lived to be so old without knowing what was good or bad for them. lol
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
    I use the preshaped pan liners in the UK from the £ store can't remember if I've seen them in $ doors. They are parchment paper but shaped in the size of various pans and cake tins, also saves washing up
    I buy it by the roll at Dollar tree. $1 verses 4. Also, doesn't waxed paper do the trick too?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    I don't know how our ancestors lived to be so old without knowing what was good or bad for them. lol
    I think the average life expectancy is longer (in the USA, anyway) now than it was 100 years ago.

A life Saver!

Blog Entries
    Still save the bacon grease. Into the green beans, starter to fry potatoes or eggs, got to have it to make potato or corn chowder. It never goes bad because, when I have it, I see it, and I use it. And no, I don't make bacon every day. But ah, what a treat every now and then.

Blog Entries
    Another lover of Parchment paper here. I used to work at a commercial bakery and was able to buy a box of full sized sheets. I also got 5 second hand 1/2 sheet pans. I just have to cut the paper in half for the pans. There was 1000 sheets in the box, it should last me a few years.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Another lover of Parchment paper here. I used to work at a commercial bakery and was able to buy a box of full sized sheets. I also got 5 second hand 1/2 sheet pans. I just have to cut the paper in half for the pans. There was 1000 sheets in the box, it should last me a few years.
    I also have commercial bakery parchment paper. I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them in half. I also got a large box at Costco and cut it down to just a little bit bigger than a half sheet size of parchment paper, taped them together, leaving a little slack in-between the two pieces of cardboard. I then put a tab on the opposite side of the taped side, so that I can close it up. This folds up to keep the parchment paper flat. I store it in between my cookie sheets, up against the side of my cabinet. This way I always have my parchment sheets ready for cooking.

I also use the sheets without cutting them for when I need to draft a large pattern or need to trace a pattern on the paper. I honestly don't what I'd do if I didn't have this parchment paper, as it comes in so handy for so many things.

Blog Entries
    Love watching "The Great British Baking Show" on Netflix and I've learned at lot. I buy parchment paper on the roll at the grocery. I learned that I can cut my paper longer than the length of the pan, say a bread pan, so that when I want to remove the bread or whatever I just take hold of the parchment paper flaps that I extended over the end of my bread pan and the loaf comes out perfectly. I, also, line my baking sheets with it when I bake cookies and usually the cookies come off cleanly when I remove them and I let the baking sheets cool completely with the parchment paper intact so it's all ready for the next time I bake cookies.

Another parchment paper user here - I like to make oven fries and they would always stick to my non-stick baking sheet because I don't use oil or cooking spray on them. With a sheet of parchment paper that problem is solved, and I can use the same sheet more than once.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2