Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Photo of beans from this  morning >

Photo of beans from this morning

Photo of beans from this morning

Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
after a lifetime of bean love ...i guess i'm now 'acclimatized' great link ..thanks sibram!

[h=4]Acclimatization[/h]Most dieticians teach that the best way to reduce bean-related flatulence is to regularly eat small portions of beans. The stomach will slowly learn how to process the legumes, and over time, even vast quantities should not cause gas. Starting out with a big bowl of beans is likely to cause problems, even if they were soaked or exposed to baking soda.
Yeah, really, People eat burritos all the time with refried beans, etc. So it must be ok for some to eat them. Black beans are popular now to put in salads, etc.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM

You don't need to soak split peas or lentils! If a package of beans is old (I don't know how old), then often they don't soften up while cooking.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
....well, I learned something new! The only beans I have ever "cooked" are split peas and lentils....and rarely, due to the gaseous results! Never "soaked" either kind before cooking.....will try that next time and it may open a few new Windows - and not to get fresh air in!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 AM

We love beans too, and they are so good for you. A couple of days ago I made a big pot of bean soup with all types of beans, hamburger meat, lots of onions and garlic, diced tomatoes with green chilies, jalapenos and all sorts of spices. Then, I made a pan of cornbread to go with them. We took a small crockpot of the bean soup and a small pan of cornbread over to a friend who just got out of the hospital.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
after a lifetime of bean love ...i guess i'm now 'acclimatized' great link ..thanks sibram!

Acclimatization
Most dieticians teach that the best way to reduce bean-related flatulence is to regularly eat small portions of beans. The stomach will slowly learn how to process the legumes, and over time, even vast quantities should not cause gas. Starting out with a big bowl of beans is likely to cause problems, even if they were soaked or exposed to baking soda.
This is what I have heard also. The more you eat beans, the less trouble you will have with gas. And they are so good and good for you. Several times a week should do the trick.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:11 AM

I think that chili powder really made my beans taste like a can of chili beans...still good but different.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I think that chili powder really made my beans taste like a can of chili beans...still good but different.
OK, I sauteed some cabbage and zucchini, added the beans to the mix and it tastes great. Balances out that chili taste...I love it.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 AM

I am the only member in our household that loves beans but I really enjoy everyone's opinions and suggestions. I soak my navy beans over night and then rinse and put in a crock pot and cook on slow all day. Actually, the beans are better the second and third day! I only add chopped onion and put a ham slice in for flavor. Does anyone use ham or salt pork?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I am the only member in our household that loves beans but I really enjoy everyone's opinions and suggestions. I soak my navy beans over night and then rinse and put in a crock pot and cook on slow all day. Actually, the beans are better the second and third day! I only add chopped onion and put a ham slice in for flavor. Does anyone use ham or salt pork?
Not me, I don't eat much meat, but my mom always put salt pork or sometimes cottage ham in her beans.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
i don't use salty pork anymore, don't know why. i like ham in white beans of any type, tho. especially i love white bean soup. i introduced my hubby to black beans a few years ago ...and now that's all he wants me to make, but there are sooo many wonderful types of beans & i love them all. i BBQ all summer ..a lot of pork & some beef roasts. i make my own seasoning rubs for the most part tho i will use a combo of some over the counter stuff that i mix in various ways. i save the roast bones and and meat scraps ..freeze for beans all winter. i also save the drippings from the roast, i add them to a large empty peanut butter jar i keep in freezer, when it's full i start another jar to fill. usually one jar is good for a 6 qt crockpot of beans. i could eat them 365/6 & did with my son while hubs was away on jobs (construction) ..but hubs doesn't like them that often & considers them winter food. when i make my own seasoning mix i often use crushed chipotle powder. have to be careful ..mil doesn't eat spicey. another idea for flavor ..one of my bean recipe books said that one of the i gredients that makes mexican chile beans so special is that they grate up dark unsweetend chocolate i to the pot & a little cinnemon. i use baking chocolate squares or the mexican style hot chocolate grated into the pot. it's not that sweet but the cinnemon & chocolate is wonderful.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
OK, I sauteed some cabbage and zucchini, added the beans to the mix and it tastes great. Balances out that chili taste...I love it.
try adding them to some wide noodles too. the special flavor of beans is wonderful with just about everything. my son is making a dish that he copied from an oriental restaurant that he & his little girls love. they call it yummy bowls. he steams rice and they add their own sides to the top of the rice --nori, black olives, onions and black beans ..whenever we visit now they have daddy make yummy bowls just for me lol ..it's delicious