Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pressure Cooker >

Pressure Cooker

Pressure Cooker

Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 AM

Sounds good...how long to cook & how much liquid? Do you season the veggies?

Originally Posted by sewgull
Cabbage works in PC. If you have digestive problems cooking cabbage in PC is great. PC breaks down the harse fiber so it is eaiser to digest. I cut cabbage up rather into wedges.
Have you tried cooking potatoes along with the cabbage. My family loves it cooked together. I have even added about 1/2 of a small bell pepper.
Good Eats.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM

I also have a electric pressure cooker from QVC. Love it use it all the time. I have had it for years. I wore my first one out. QVC also has a great cookbook made for electric cookers. It's called Slow Food Fast. They also had one years ago called Quick and Easy pressure cooking, I don't know if they still have that one or not. That book has a recipe for New Orleans Red Beans and Rice that I have made several times. Can cook it with dried beans in about half hour. You can use the same recipes for stove top models. The great thing with the electric models you don't need to sit and baby sit them like the stove top, they are more safe than the stove top models . There is no way to open it until the pressure drops. It shuts off when the time counts down to zero and keeps warm if you set the warm cycle. They are very heavy though. Don't get me wrong, the old cookers are great, I have two of them, but haven't used then since I bought my electric cooker.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 AM

I have a presto 4 qt. My 3rd in 43 years of marrage. We got our 1st. one for a wedding present. A 6 qt. when our 3 kids were growing up. and now down to a 4 qt. again. LOve, Love it use the pressure cooker almost as much as the slow cooker.
Sharon
Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the replies.Still haven't found cabbage.cooking time..not in the instruction book either.The one that was wrong said 8mins.....so at least I know that doesn't work :-)
Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 AM

U guys R making me hungry!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Cabbage works in PC. If you have digestive problems cooking cabbage in PC is great. PC breaks down the harse fiber so it is eaiser to digest. I cut cabbage up rather into wedges.
Have you tried cooking potatoes along with the cabbage. My family loves it cooked together. I have even added about 1/2 of a small bell pepper.
Good Eats.
To that add a small onion and some crispy fried bacon...it just keeps getting better!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:40 PM

I used a 6 quart one for years- got it as a wedding present.Once it wore out, never got another - may have to rethink that!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM

My SS stove top pressure cooker is self locking. You have to wait for the pressure to drop to open it. I'm not sure any of them can be opened while pressure is up anymore.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Feather3
My SS stove top pressure cooker is self locking. You have to wait for the pressure to drop to open it. I'm not sure any of them can be opened while pressure is up anymore.
NEVER try to open while pressure is on. Releasing pressure can be done quickly by running cool water on pot.
Be careful not to stop up the pressure release value
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 AM

My slo cooker bit the dust.The book says my elec PC can be used as a slow cooker. Need to look at that feature.I think all PCs are safe when used as directed.JMO

Originally Posted by terry leffler
I used a 6 quart one for years- got it as a wedding present.Once it wore out, never got another - may have to rethink that!