Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot >

Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot

Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot

Old 02-26-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by dms View Post
The instant pot takes a little bit longer than a stove top because stove tops are 15psi and electronic pressure cookers are about 12psi, but the electronic ones are worth every penny. You can literally set it and walk away, there is no noise like the stove top jigglers, they don't burn like the stove top ones. I use mine which is an Elite several times a week. They are wonderful.
Thanks for your imput. I have been looking at these but didn't know anyone who had one. Will check out the Elite.

And misseva echoed my fears -- I was afraid of my old pressure cooker, plus it took too much fussing to get the pressure correct.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I have been checking out the all in one from Walmarts, many places have them but so for the best price has been there. It does the slow cooking, braising, pressure cooker, etc. I had one of the old pressure cookers for years and didn't like using it because you has to adjust the valve. Several years I bought a small one and you just close it and locked it, no worrying about the valve. A few years later I bought a bigger one. I love mine, it cooks everything much faster than on the stove top. I want the all in one and the get rid of my slow cooker, pressure cookers, etc. I'm wondering if your electric one just doesn't have the proper temp set anymore, which could also be a hazard for keeping the food hot enough while cooking
Before you get rid of the slo cooker,check out the slo cooker mode.My electric pressure cooker works fine .....except as a slo cooker.Most ppl just don't bother,but I like slo cooker for some things.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 AM

I have the Power Pressure Cooker and love love love it. I cooked dried black eyed peas - just washed them and added ham and salt. Turned on the machine and hit the bean lintel button. I cooked them for 30 minutes. Next time I will lower it to 20 because they were a little mushy but oh so good!!!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by GloriaC View Post
I have the Power Pressure Cooker and love love love it. I cooked dried black eyed peas - just washed them and added ham and salt. Turned on the machine and hit the bean lintel button. I cooked them for 30 minutes. Next time I will lower it to 20 because they were a little mushy but oh so good!!!!!
Yes you have to be willing to play with the timing even on a stovetop. I made carrots but a little soft even at five minutes do will try again.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
Before you get rid of the slo cooker,check out the slo cooker mode.My electric pressure cooker works fine .....except as a slo cooker.Most ppl just don't bother,but I like slo cooker for some things.
Thanks plainpat, I'll do that. This has been on my list of things to get and I have a roast at home that I could practice on. I love the fact that you can sear it and then slow cook in the same pot, more flavor and not more pans
Old 02-27-2017, 05:56 AM

misseva, when I was growing up and as kids were running in and out, I can remember that for two different things you were cautioned to go slow, no slamming of the doors or stomping, one was when a cake was in the oven and the other the pressure cooker was going. I do have two that go on top of the stove and there's no gages to set and no worrying about exploding, but I like that with electric, you have a timer and you don't have to make sure you're watching how long so that it doesn't run out of liquid, etc.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
misseva, when I was growing up and as kids were running in and out, I can remember that for two different things you were cautioned to go slow, no slamming of the doors or stomping, one was when a cake was in the oven and the other the pressure cooker was going. I do have two that go on top of the stove and there's no gages to set and no worrying about exploding, but I like that with electric, you have a timer and you don't have to make sure you're watching how long so that it doesn't run out of liquid, etc.
Yes and it's almost impossible for me to get the burner at correct temp on an electric stove. My dtr cans veggies in stove top pressure cooker but she does it outside (under carport) and uses butane set up that they use for frying fish. There is just something about that petcock juggling & hissing that scares me.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Ok instant cookers! I'm teetering....what size would you recommend...only me and dd...occasionally other dd or gd visit...not frequently......
Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Ok instant cookers! I'm teetering....what size would you recommend...only me and dd...occasionally other dd or gd visit...not frequently......
the people on the Instant Pot Facebook always suggest going bigger but I have the Instant Pot Lux 6 quart and have used it when there were 5 extra people here and it was quite sufficient. Usually it is me and Mr Stotchnripper and I am perfectly satisfied with it. You can cook small amounts or enough for leftovers. I made two poached eggs yesterday.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM

I am new to Quilting Board. This is my first post. I saw your question concerning the Insta-Pot. I purchased one about 1 1/2 yrs. ago and I dearly love it. I don't cook as much as I used to, but it is here when I need it. I love the fact that it can be used as a slow cooker as well as pressure cooker. I had the stove top pressure cooker years, and years ago and was terribly frightened by it. I used it very little because I was afraid it would blow up!! If you purchase the Insta-Pot, I don't think you will regret it. If you plan to use as slow cooker, purchase the optional see through lid. I also purchase a cookbook at the same time. It helped me get the feel for how to use it. Another person mentioned the cooking class on Craftsy. I was unaware of it. I'll sure be checking that out. Hope this helps you. Happy cooking!