Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Brownies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/brownies-t293080.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 12-26-2017 09:18 AM

I often bake brownies from Duncan Hines Chewy fudge brownie mix...I start with it 'cause its free of milk and wheat and daughter can eat them unless I continue to 'make it better'! I add fudge instant jello pudding, small box, Chocolate morels, whole package and 1/4 c chocolate syrup and follow the directions on the back of the brownie mix, then pour it into a greased pan lined on the bottom with parchment paper. Then I put chocolate syrup lines on top of the brownies, crosswise, straight up and down and across. Followed by caramel syrup lines. Then put into the oven to bake. No frosted is needed, but sometimes I do frost it with creamy chocolate frosting. Five star rated.

madamekelly 12-26-2017 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 7969722)
I often bake brownies from Duncan Hines Chewy fudge brownie mix...I start with it 'cause its free of milk and wheat and daughter can eat them unless I continue to 'make it better'! I add fudge instant jello pudding, small box, Chocolate morels, whole package and 1/4 c chocolate syrup and follow the directions on the back of the brownie mix, then pour it into a greased pan lined on the bottom with parchment paper. Then I put chocolate syrup lines on top of the brownies, crosswise, straight up and down and across. Followed by caramel syrup lines. Then put into the oven to bake. No frosted is needed, but sometimes I do frost it with creamy chocolate frosting. Five star rated.

I am not sure where you got the idea that any brownie baking mix would be wheat free, but that one is not. Look again at the ingredients please dear.

tropit 12-30-2017 06:00 AM

I don't have the recipes, but I've had brownies made by others that had some interesting ingredients added to them:

candied ginger
blueberries
chile pepper
bananas
rum

All of these variations were delicious!

~ C

pennycandy 12-30-2017 07:45 PM

madamekelly, maybe NinaSue forgot the correct name for the mix. Duncan Hines has a Gluten Free Chocolate Lover's Brownie mix.

I too have a daughter who must avoid gluten and understand how important it is to read the ingredients.

KrissyD. 01-01-2018 05:28 AM

I use maviskw's recipe . I always melt quality chocolate I purchase in bulk , melt until just melted ad wax ( usually 5 pounds chocolate to 2 bricks wax . Dip brownies in the chocolate & lay on wax paper til set . I also melt P.B chips & wht. chocolate chips w/ wax added & drizzle over the tops . If I put nuts in them I'll put a nice whole 1/2 walnut on top of each after dipping & do it before the chocolate sets & before I drizzle .

madamekelly 01-01-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by KrissyD. (Post 7973753)
I use maviskw's recipe . I always melt quality chocolate I purchase in bulk , melt until just melted ad wax ( usually 5 pounds chocolate to 2 bricks wax . Dip brownies in the chocolate & lay on wax paper til set . I also melt P.B chips & wht. chocolate chips w/ wax added & drizzle over the tops . If I put nuts in them I'll put a nice whole 1/2 walnut on top of each after dipping & do it before the chocolate sets & before I drizzle .

Are you saying you use paraffin wax? Or beeswax? I have never heard of cooking with either one.

KrissyD. 01-02-2018 07:12 AM

paraffin wax. Makes the chocolate thinner & shinny.

Wonnie 01-03-2018 08:38 AM

Interesting thoughts on paraffin wax.....my Ohio buckeye recipe calls for paraffin wax in the chocolate that is used for the outside.....I find the chocolate keeps its shape even in hot weather. Once took my Bluebirds behind the scenes on a tour of a local bakery......noticed the bread that was "rising" bouncing along on conveyer belts.....I asked why the yeast dough didn't immediately fall with all that agitation and was told it was due to the wax they put in the recipe.....wonder it that's why some bread just never feels fresh?????

As to the original post.....when I make them it's milk chocolate from scratch, walnuts, cakey.... usually will take anything with fruit over chocolate.....but I AM tempted to try the pecan, coconut frosting mentioned by another member!

KrissyD. 01-07-2018 03:02 AM

I always coat my brownies , keep them from drying out & they will keep for weeks outside the frig .

madamekelly 01-07-2018 04:07 AM

I put fudge type brownies in a single layer in gallon freezer zipper bags to keep DH from eating them all at once. I have him believing they take time to thaw so he will wait until after dinner to get his brownie. I would never tell him that I love them fresh from the freezer on a hot day. They are just a little firmer frozen. Yummmm!