Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Brownies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/brownies-t293080.html)

madamekelly 12-06-2017 06:25 PM

Duncan Hines fudge dark chocolate brownies with an extra egg thrown in, and pecans. Nirvana! I freeze them so they last longer, if I don’t freeze the DH will eat them all in one evening. Lol. (Yes, this is the man who says he doesn’t really care for chocolate. Lol)

FYI - when manufacturers make baking mixes, they only put in what must be there to get a satisfactory result. I have always added an extra egg to any baking mix, especially cornbread. Makes a moister slightly denser corn bread. (When I lived in Texas, I was famous for my yellow cornbread at potlucks. (They never knew it was 3 jiffy mixes in 9”x13” and a couple extra eggs. Lol)

DJ 12-06-2017 08:59 PM

I have a triple chocolate brownie recipe that turns out kind of fudgy. I love it and usually have all the ingredients on hand to make last minute if needed. Nuts (walnuts) are NOT optional. Love it warm with vanilla ice cream and a berry topping.

Murphy224 12-07-2017 03:22 AM

Love brownies but since I am trying really really hard to get off the sugar train (it is an addiction similar to cigarettes), I don't bake them unless they are going to a get together or party or such.
But my hint for all of you who use a mix: try using orange flavored olive oil instead of plain veggie oil most mixes call for. It will take those brownies over the top . When I do make them, I use the Ghirardelli mixes. Enjoy.

SusieQOH 12-07-2017 06:24 AM

Sugar really is addictive! I've cut waaaay down. I noticed the more I eat the more I want and now the reverse is true.
And I really can't eat anything sweet at night or I fall asleep. It acts like a sleeping pill with me. I'm not kidding!

Jo Anne B. 12-07-2017 06:37 AM

Hersheys Special Dark Cocoa container has/had a brownie recipe on the back that has been my go to brownie recipe with the Hersheys brownie frosting recipe. Sad I've had a hard time finding Hersheys Special Dark cocoa for 1-2 yrs.
I recently ordered black cocoa from King Arthur will be making Black cocoa Brownies(a new recipe for me) for the holidays. Per website; Black cocoa tastes similar to Oreos.
Too, I want to give a shout out to the Gourmet Dark cocoa I found at Sam's Club!! Excellent!

Wanabee Quiltin 12-07-2017 06:51 AM

I buy the cheap brownie mix at any store or Aldi and they turn out fantastic. Sometimes I add nuts and powdered sugar but they eat them any way I make them. The key to good brownies is to not over bake them.

ptquilts 12-07-2017 06:55 AM

If you are watching your weight try this trick - substitute applesauce for some of the oil. If the recipe calls for 2/3 cup oil, I use a 4 ounce cup of applesauce and the rest oil.

trolleystation 12-07-2017 07:00 AM

I use a brownie mix, replacing the water with cooled coffee and add a dash of cinnamon. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

bearisgray 12-07-2017 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7957837)
If you are watching your weight try this trick - substitute applesauce for some of the oil. If the recipe calls for 2/3 cup oil, I use a 4 ounce cup of applesauce and the rest oil.

An even better trick - is to eat only one 2x2 square instead of the whole pan of the brownies.

sewmuch 12-07-2017 08:00 AM

I use my Moms recipe with dark unsweetened chocolate and walnuts...