Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   need something really good. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-something-really-good-t124514.html)

judymay 05-20-2011 02:24 PM

We are having a family get-together memorial day and I would like to take something besides a sliced ham. I have been taking ham for the last few years. We just had ham for Easter and I would like something different. Does anyone have a favorite dish for a potluck dinner. Thank you so much for any ideas or recipes.

RkayD 05-20-2011 02:58 PM

The skillet chili Mac that is listed in this blog is very good.

http://www.skiptomylou.org/recipes-2/

And I ran across a very good beef recipe out of a cookbook at the library that is very easy & very good!

Thin small steaks pounded to almost paper thin
1 can of black olives
1 tin of anchovies...I know I know...but bare with me
1-2 TBSP capers.
Chopped Garlic to taste
Black Pepper to taste

You really don't need salt as the anchovies will take care of that.

Make a paste out of everything with your food processor and smear ~ thats a technical cooking term ~ right? =) on the steaks. cook them in a skillet or your favorite pan on the stove top. I always use half EVOO & butter. These are ridiculously delicious. And you can use cheaper cuts of meat because you start out with them thin.

Diana Lynne 05-20-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by judymay
We are having a family get-together memorial day and I would like to take something besides a sliced ham. I have been taking ham for the last few years. We just had ham for Easter and I would like something different. Does anyone have a favorite dish for a potluck dinner. Thank you so much for any ideas or recipes.

do you like ribs? I make some that the meat just falls apart and is very yummy!!! I put them in a pan (make sure they do not cover each other)..Put some foil over them and slow bake them at 250 degrees for about 5 to 6 hours..During the last hour, take the foil off put your favorite bbq sauce and let them finish cooking...

sewcrafty 05-20-2011 04:06 PM

double post :shock:

sewcrafty 05-20-2011 04:06 PM

Do you have a smoker? We just smoked a turkey breast and it was awesome! Injected the breast with lemon juice, evoo and lemon pepper seasoning. We used crabapple wood and in the water pan, I put apple & orange juice with sliced up oranges and lemons, a bay leaf and some ground cloves, and a little wine :wink: and let it go.

You could do, chickens, a whole turkey, ribs, etc.

Good eats!!!

craftybear 05-20-2011 04:19 PM

that sounds good will buy some ribs and make them, thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne

do you like ribs? I make some that the meat just falls apart and is very yummy!!! I put them in a pan (make sure they do not cover each other)..Put some foil over them and slow bake them at 250 degrees for about 5 to 6 hours..During the last hour, take the foil off put your favorite bbq sauce and let them finish cooking...

judymay 05-20-2011 05:11 PM

Thanks everyone,for the recipes. It sounds like you are good cooks. I have ribs and turkey breast in the freezer and the steak recipe sounds very interesting. Did you use round steak or sirloin or something else.

Diana Lynne 05-20-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
that sounds good will buy some ribs and make them, thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne

Your welcome :wink: ..They are so tender and juicy..I make them just about everytime we have a cookout..

Sandee 05-20-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Do you have a smoker? We just smoked a turkey breast and it was awesome! Injected the breast with lemon juice, evoo and lemon pepper seasoning. We used crabapple wood and in the water pan, I put apple & orange juice with sliced up oranges and lemons, a bay leaf and some ground cloves, and a little wine :wink: and let it go.

You could do, chickens, a whole turkey, ribs, etc.

Good eats!!!

How long does this cook for. We tryed some pork chops in a nice smoker my DS won & they turned out like hockey pucks!. I need some help before we use it again!

hopetoquilt 05-20-2011 06:19 PM

eggplant parmisan is easy to make, easy to transport and bake.