Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
"Resting meat" >

"Resting meat"

"Resting meat"

Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 AM

Tried "resting" the steaks for 10 minutes last night. Put them on a plate, covered them with aluminum foil, sat them in the microwave and set the timer for 10 minutes. There were still nice and warm and very juicy. It's 50/50 as to whether I'd do this everytime
Old 01-04-2016, 08:21 AM

I rest my meat by covering with tin foil,and then covering with folded bath towel to hold the heat in...
Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 AM

Be careful on covering hot meat, soups, etc. A friend of mine thought she was doing well--baby was being baptized and a huge family gathering would be held in their home immediately afterward. She baked the ham, tented it with aluminum foil and went to the church. A grand time was had by all until the ENTIRE family on both sides became quite ill from food poisoning from the ham! I recall in my early days as a single gal, making a nice batch of vegetable soup. Left the lid on and put it in the refrigerator. Wonderful supper waiting when I got home from work. NOT!! It had spoiled. Be aware of resting as compared to a big slumber!!! Kinda like falling asleep with the stove on--disaster awaits.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM

I agree, I like the food on my plate hot. I also don't care a bit for the new rare to med rare way of cooking meat. I just can't get used to anything that bleeds on my plate. Pink pork.... no thanks! For the "foodies" and top chefs
that say that anything that is cooked all the way through is "over done"..... I say, fine with me.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Count me in too! I will let is sit about 10 minutes because it is easier to cut then, but anything longer just makes it too cold for us. The other thing I found is it makes the beef overdone to my taste. I like mine rare and it seems to take it beyond medium rare to medium - Yuck!
I was always told to rest it 10 minutes to seal in the juices. 1/2 hour would be way too long and cold. 10 minutes is how long it takes me to make the gravy. Win, win.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Be careful on covering hot meat, soups, etc. A friend of mine thought she was doing well--baby was being baptized and a huge family gathering would be held in their home immediately afterward. She baked the ham, tented it with aluminum foil and went to the church. A grand time was had by all until the ENTIRE family on both sides became quite ill from food poisoning from the ham! I recall in my early days as a single gal, making a nice batch of vegetable soup. Left the lid on and put it in the refrigerator. Wonderful supper waiting when I got home from work. NOT!! It had spoiled. Be aware of resting as compared to a big slumber!!! Kinda like falling asleep with the stove on--disaster awaits.
We made squash for our church fall festival. The ladies baked it the day before, piled it into roasters and put it into the refrigerator. The next day, some of it had turned sour. No one got sick, but it didn't taste good and did not give our dinner a good reputation. The next year I made sure to tell the ladies to keep the layers shallow in the roasters until they had cooled down a lot.
We made squash for your c
Old 01-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Resting meat is a trail and error and math. Pork shoulder, pork loin, porkchops, chicken, turkey, turkey whole breast, chuck beef roast to hamburgers to weight and your room temp and how humid or dry the air is.

If your resting meat, its not warm by the time you eat it, your prob over cooking your meat, either too high of heat or too low and drying the meat by cooking it too long.

The eazy cut of meat to practice on is pork shoulder or some kind of pork roast, but pork should vs leaner cuts of pork will be eazy to over cook. You just trim off the fat after your pork is rested.

Say 16oz pork shoulder steak or country pork ribs, cook in a castiron skillet the way you want;
Cook at med-hi for 3-5mins(1.30min per side)
Turn down to low to warm for 3-5mins
Put on heavy ceramic plate cover with heavy tinfoil, use two paiese if need be
Let rest 4-5mins, remove tinfoil, should be a puddle of juice under the your pork and still be warm to the touch, not hot, when you cut into it, it shouldnt loose too much juice all all.

If you dont have some juice under the meat, after it resting,you over cooked it...
Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I let it rest no longer then 10 minutes from pan to plate. Also be sure it doesn't cool down too fast. Nothing wrong with eating it hot straight from the pan. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy. I really detest cold food but often end up with it as I make three meals daily for 10 people and I am always the last to sit down.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I rest my meat by covering with tin foil,and then covering with folded bath towel to hold the heat in...
Good idea, be careful with "carry over heat". I take my steaks out before my rare to med rare stage is set. That way its not "over done" for my tastes. My Mom says all I do with my steaks is throw them in a hot pan, flip and serve....lol
I like mine just this side of the moo.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:40 PM

I never thought of retaining the heat to spoilage stage......I guess I've been lucky all these years...but come to think of it, when I cook something that's to be refrigerated I usually let it cool a bit on top of stove beforehand.