Roux

Old 09-26-2020, 04:10 AM

1 tablespoon of flour has 9 carbs. I make white gravy with 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook flour a few minutes before adding 1 cup milk. Makes baked chicken much better, and we don't eat that much of the gravy.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:07 AM

I use a roux in gravies and sauces, in cheese fondue, and in many soups and
​stews. I also use it in my Chicken Picatta. There are times I use mashed potatoes in soups to thicken the broth instead of using a roux.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:46 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My poor daughter, now 40, grew up hearing me say over and over, "first you make a roux" and knew she'd never be a cook without that skill. She's now married with a child of her own and is a wonderful cook; whereas I rarely make a roux any more as a single person, because I have grown tired of cooking just for myself, for the most part.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:38 PM

I found this roux recipe tweak in the comments section on spicysouthernkitchen.com

This person baked their flour first and did not use oil, or butter in their roux:

"...take the flour, spread it evenly on a sheet pan, place it in a preheated, 400 degree oven for at least a half hour. Check and stir every 10 minutes. The flour will develop a deep color after about 25 to 35 minutes and a wonderful aroma as well. This can then be added to your ALREADY COOKED veggies, coating them well. Now, add the liquid and continuing with the recipe. It will taste great and contain NO oil."

I've never heard of this method. Has anyone else ever tried it?
Old 11-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I found this roux recipe tweak in the comments section on spicysouthernkitchen.com

This person baked their flour first and did not use oil, or butter in their roux:

"...take the flour, spread it evenly on a sheet pan, place it in a preheated, 400 degree oven for at least a half hour. Check and stir every 10 minutes. The flour will develop a deep color after about 25 to 35 minutes and a wonderful aroma as well. This can then be added to your ALREADY COOKED veggies, coating them well. Now, add the liquid and continuing with the recipe. It will taste great and contain NO oil."

I've never heard of this method. Has anyone else ever tried it?
we have used this a lot. Enola Prudomme was at an event we went to years ago and she showed it. You can also make dry roux in a skillet but don’t leave it alone for a second!!
Old 11-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I grew up in rural Arkansas. We make roux but call it gravy. My grandmother would brown the flour first in the skillet before making the gravy. She used a big cast iron skillet but never made the skillet full. She said the flour should never be piled in the skillet but spread out. No lumps ever in gravy. Lumpy gravy was never put on the table.