Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Snickerdoodle Cake?  Oh, dear! >

Snickerdoodle Cake? Oh, dear!

Snickerdoodle Cake? Oh, dear!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Babs194068
Originally Posted by reeskylr
Wow, this sounds great. I wonder if you can just get the butter cream frosting in a can and add the cinnamon and a little brown sugar....hm.

Plus, just get a white cake mix, use the butter instead of the oil and add the cinnamon. Hm...

This is what I plan to do when I try it. I am not into homemade cakes anymore.
Problem is that the "Buttercream Frosting" in a can probably doesn't have real butter in it. They ususally have some kind of hydrogenated oil. My feelings about that are that if I'm going to be bad and have all the fat (and I am) I would much rather have the good-tasting butter than the fake stuff. I don't often make homemade cakes myself, but I just may have to try this one. I still think I'm going the cupcake route though, because I'm frosting-challenged when it comes to cakes (lol).
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by raksmum
This sure does sound yummy! I have never bought butter by the "stick". How much butter is in a stick?
The butter in the grocery stores in my area have one pound boxes of butter that contain four individually wrapped "sticks". How is butter packaged in Canada?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by Babs194068
Originally Posted by reeskylr
Wow, this sounds great. I wonder if you can just get the butter cream frosting in a can and add the cinnamon and a little brown sugar....hm.

Plus, just get a white cake mix, use the butter instead of the oil and add the cinnamon. Hm...

This is what I plan to do when I try it. I am not into homemade cakes anymore.
Problem is that the "Buttercream Frosting" in a can probably doesn't have real butter in it. They ususally have some kind of hydrogenated oil. My feelings about that are that if I'm going to be bad and have all the fat (and I am) I would much rather have the good-tasting butter than the fake stuff. I don't often make homemade cakes myself, but I just may have to try this one. I still think I'm going the cupcake route though, because I'm frosting-challenged when it comes to cakes (lol).
True on that. I keep thinking about this cake and how much I wanna get a taste of it. :lol:

I may make it for Thanksgiving, that way there are 15 people eating on it and one piece will be enough. :mrgreen:
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM

I made this cake on Sunday. I did not cut the cake into four layers so I made half the receipe for the icing. It is very good. The brown sugar in the icing gave the icing a little crunch and it was very good. Special event cake.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by vjjo743
I made this cake on Sunday. I did not cut the cake into four layers so I made half the receipe for the icing. It is very good. The brown sugar in the icing gave the icing a little crunch and it was very good. Special event cake.
Good idea! Was a half recipe of frosting enough to get a nice thick layer? I might have a chance of doing a decent frosting job on just two layers.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

yum!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by vjjo743
Good idea! Was a half recipe of frosting enough to get a nice thick layer? I might have a chance of doing a decent frosting job on just two layers.
Yes, the frosting was thick, almost too much frosting. I used the large bag of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 2 sticks of butter. Turned out perfect.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM

This sure does sound yummy! I have never bought butter by the "stick". How much butter is in a stick?
The butter in the grocery stores in my area have one pound boxes of butter that contain four individually wrapped "sticks". How is butter packaged in Canada?
I buy mine by the one pound block. Thanks I can do the math now. Wow! That is alot of butter!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 AM

I buy mine by the one pound block. Thanks I can do the math now. Wow! That is alot of butter!
Glad to help. I figured out there in Alberta, you just rope your own cow, milk her and make your own butter! I'm just kidding, of course. Just a nod to you Cowgirl heritage.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Glad to help. I figured out there in Alberta, you just rope your own cow, milk her and make your own butter! I'm just kidding, of course. Just a nod to you Cowgirl heritage.
:thumbup: