Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Sponge Cake >

Sponge Cake

Sponge Cake

Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
That was what he remembered. The jam in the middle with the whipped cream. Thanks so much for this info.
Happy to help.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
mac

Wasn't the sponge cake made in England called "fairy cakes?" They may have had a different type of flour or used a cake flour for the recipe.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25...ctoria-sponge/

Here is a recipe in terms you can follow rather than weighting everything.

Last edited by Up North; 01-04-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25...ctoria-sponge/

Here is a recipe in terms you can follow rather than weighting everything.
This is known as the 'all in one' method of making a Victoria sponge cake, it is also pleasing, quicker and easier to make than the WI version, but there is a noticeable difference when looking at the texture of the crumb (and taste to some degree). The thing with the WI version is that you just weigh the eggs, then have the same weight of flour, sugar, butter etc. I do prefer to weigh ingredients for cakes, and I have great difficulty with 'cup' measures for baking anything.

'Fairy cakes' are usually made by the 'all in one' method, but baked in little cases, about a third the size of 'muffins', and decorated with buttercream and sprinkles, or as wished; they can be the first thing little children learn to bake, because they are so quick and easy. They are easy children party bakes too.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:29 PM

She made it with the self rising flour that was brand new out of the store. Terribly heavy and tasteless. She wondered if there was a different kind of flour also called self rising in England.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM

She made it with the self rising flour that was brand new out of the store. Terribly heavy and tasteless. She wondered if there was a different kind of flour also called self rising in England.
It will be 'self raising' flour, I have not seen 'self rising' on a pack of flour here, and it is always good to use fresh flour, or well within the 'best before' date anyway. Your 'all purpose flour' can be used, but a raising agent will be needed.
I always sift the flour. It is also important to have everything at room temperature, so I always take the eggs and butter out of the fridge the night before, if I am baking cakes the next day. I like the butter to be quite soft - I can make am impression in it with a finger easily. I prefer to use butter when I am baking.

If making it the WI way, their instructions are best. It is really important to beat the butter and sugar really well, until the mixture is pale and fluffy; I generally beat the mixture for about 5 minutes; add the eggs one at a time while continuing to beat the mixture, and beat well after each egg until well mixed. A spoonful of flour can be added with each egg if wished - helps to stabilise the mixture. Then fold in the remaining flour with a large metal spoon, until all mixed in. Then put the mix evenly in the tins and bake.

The 'all in one' mix is easier, but still tastes good. Everything goes in together and whisked/beaten for about 2 minutes, put into tins and baked. An extra tsp of baking powder may be needed for the 'all in one' method, to help the cake rise and make up for the lack of air beaten in at the butter/sugar/egg stage of the WI method.

Your friend should continue, I am sure she will be successful.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:38 PM

I seem to remember my British grandmother adding baking powder to cake and pastry flour to make it self raising flour, but i don't know the proportions, perhaps Mr Google would be helpful....
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606237[/ATTACH]Thanks to all your folks for helping Kathleen. She experimented with some of the recipes from you and the ones she got off the interneet. Here is the experiment. The nice cake is regular flour and the flat heavy one is from self rising flour. She is taking them over to her Dad to taste.
Attached Thumbnails image1.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2019, 04:42 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606237[/ATTACH]Thanks to all your folks for helping Kathleen. She experimented with some of the recipes from you and the ones she got off the interneet. Here is the experiment. The nice cake is regular flour and the flat heavy one is from self rising flour. She is taking them over to her Dad to taste.
Well done, that looks very tasty. I am sure her Dad will love it.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:49 PM

Very dedicated. I have found that eggs always seemed to matter more in sponge cake