Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
tough chicken breasts?? >

tough chicken breasts??

tough chicken breasts??

Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 AM

I thaw mine out and then put them on the George Foreman Grill. Cook exactly the time recommended and they come out great. I put a rub on them and let stand for about 30 minutes before cooking. Always tender and juicy. Jan
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM

Any meat can be tough if it is cooked too fast. I always cover the meat also to keep in the moisture. For chicken breasts : bake in a 325 oven, covered , 20-30 min per pound.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Yes the answer to old tough meat of any kind of meat: LONG SLOW COOKING, especially adding acid: tomato, citrus, vinegar etc. But that chicken I would return to the store.
Just for laughs, when I was in college and learning to cook, we tried to cook a chicken that was pretty tough to begin with. With half an idea in my head that boiling was the way to deal with it, we boiled it. After an hour, it was even tougher, so we turned the heat way up and let it boil hard. Boiled all the liquid off. Added more boiling water. After boiling it for 4 hours at the highest heat possible replacing the water as needed, we finally threw the whole thing out. Tougher than an old tire.I remember that and laugh every time I poach chicken.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I brown them in olive oil then put in pressure cooker. Melts in your mouth. Tender and yummy.
Great idea. I'm a big pressure cooker fan, too!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 PM

Yes! I thought I was saving money and time by buying Members Mark-it is the toughest chicken. Boil in chicken broth until it falls apart. I use a dutch oven and cook on medium. Wont use it for grilling or frying or anything that isnt cooked in liquid a very long time.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by reeskylr
Originally Posted by QuiltE
How about the crockpot?
One of my favourites is ...

~~~~~~~~~
Salsa Chicken
~~~~~~~~~
Layer chicken in crock
Top with salsa.
If more chicken next layer of each.
At end, top with grated parmesan, cover with lid til ready to serve.

Variations:
* bake in oven covered with foil
* use antipasto and feta in place of salsa/parmesan
Crockpots are a godsend. I do my chicken this way too, most of the time. I also keep seeing a commercial for french fried onions and coating them with that, then baking. Need to try that one out.
We do the fried onion chicken a lot. I didn't like how the bottom would be soggy though so I changed the recipe. I no longer dip in egg instead I spread some Dijon mustard on the top of the breast and then put on the crushed fried onions. It is also easier and cleaner than having to dip in egg then dip in onions which I love in the RV!

I got the mustard idea from a recipe I have been making for a long time. Bone-in breasts topped with mustard and "hash browns". Grate the potatoes, soak in ice water, wring dry in towel, mix with a tiny bit of oil and S&P then bake.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM

I have had this happen too. The chain supermarket I usually shop at was taken over by A &P and their AC (American Choice) brand of chicken is always tough. Now when I shop there I only by Perdue or Tyson chicken, on sale of course. May in Jersey
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I usually marinate mine.