Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Turkey and Noodles >

Turkey and Noodles

Turkey and Noodles

Old 11-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I love homemade noodles. So here is my version.

You will need:

Turkey or chicken Broth approx 3 quarts
Turkey or chicken
approx 2 cups diced
Homemade is best. If you don't have any from roasting your turkey you can make your own by boiling a whole chicken. I cook it for several hours to get a rich broth and the chicken is falling off the bones.

Set your broth on the stove to heat to boiling before you start making your noodles

2 cups flour
4 eggs

I put the flour in a bowl and add the eggs to the center. I don't bother to whisk my eggs I just add them. With a fork cut them into the flour like you would cold butter. Keep mixing until you can form a dough ball. You can add more flour or more eggs according to what your dough is feeling like. You want it to be not sticky and able to form a ball. Add more flour as needed.

I divide the dough into two or three balls.
Flour your surface well
Flatten a ball of dough on the floured service.
Add flour to the top of the dough so it is covered.
Flour your rolling pin.
Roll the dough out to about 1/8" thick. Probably the same as pie crust.

I have cut this with a knife but if you have a noodle cutter that is better. I have a hand held small cutter similar to a pizza cutter. It is an antique I picked up at a junk shop a long time ago. Make sure you flour your cutter if you are using a hand cutter or knife.

So cut the noodles by cutting long strips. Then I cut from left to right so you have 1 1/2" to 2" sections. I push the strips of noodles into a pile and just start jumbling them up and I have found this will help to seperate the noodles without having to pull each one apart. Then I drop them in the hot boiling broth. After you have all the noodles cut add the cubed turkey or chicken. I don't like stringy meat so I add the meat last.

Repeat with the other dough balls.

I cook mine at least 30 mins. Taste test to see if they are done. It is good to stir alot to keep them from sticking to the bottom.

I make alot and I freeze individual portions in ziplock bags.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Sounds great. Thanks. We call these Chicken & Dumplings, but have never had it with Turkey. I'll have to try it next time I cook Turkey. Ken will have the turkey I had him get for the freezer smoked before Christmas & I bring some of the turkey & the carcass home to boil it down for broth. My Uncle & folks down close to New Orleans call it Rue. Sometimes I put celery & onions in it. I hadn't tried to freeze it before with dumplings/noodles, but I'm sure I'd eat it more often if I could just unfreeze it. Making noodles is something I don't do much of anymore. When it's just me I don't cook a lot.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I make them about once a month and I love to have them in the freezer to pull out and thaw in the microwave. Takes about 6 mins in the microwave and they are great. I freeze them in ziplocks and then I peel the plastic off and put it in a bowl to cook. Love them!

My friend Dorothy uses baking powder and adds water but I like my version. Hers is more fluffy but I like my rustic(simple) version that is really easy to make.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Sure Lorretta anytime!! My mom cooks from scratch and I cook from scratch mostly. My daughter and both of my sons know how to cook pretty much any thing I do. My daughter creates her own recipes alot too. She wants to publish a cookbook and is working on it. She focuses on how to put together meals and freeze them ahead. She has a lot of shortcuts and ideas that are pretty good.

My youngest called me one day a few years ago and wanted my recipes for homemade from scratch pancake mix/ baking powder biscuits/ and pie dough recipes. Nathan calls and asks questions sometimes to refresh his memory. How long to cook a turkey. What do you add to this recipe etc. Sometimes it's things my mom does and not me and I have him call her instead.

My mother in law taught all 8 of her boys to cook and I didn't learn to cook as a child beyond making cookies. So I learned a lot from my mother inlaw. Her only daughter learned to cook for a larger family and she went on to work as a cook iin a restaurant for a few years.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

No I didn't see it. I will have to look it up.

I got one off of the show Food Network's Next Big Star or something like that. The guy that came in second said he uses 3 cups flour and 3 sticks of butter and that is all. So I have been using that one. It is really flaky but I cut back on the butter. The 3 sticks is just too much in my opinion. It is still just as flaky.

I make homemade potpies with that dough and leftover roast beef and vegs. It is really good. Then I usually make enough dough to have some to roll out and I do it like you would for cinnamon rolls. I use canned apple filling and a little cinn and sugar and butter in the center. Roll the pastry over to cover the filling and I brush the top with milk and sprinkle on cinn and sugar. and bake.

I have looked a long time for a good pie crust!!

I will have to try yours out!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:50 PM

Rhonda I use extra dough for cinnamon roll ups too. Imagine that great minds think alike LOL
Old 11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I've never had a real apple struedel but this dough with the apple filling makes me think of it. It is a long roll and looks alot like the pictures I see of it. I make a Sally Lunn homemade bread and my DH and I have taken that dough as it is sweet and used it for cinnamon rolls. It is fantastic! But being diabetic now I don't do it very often. I like to make them and then freeze them individually so we can pull them out as needed. Yum!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Sure Loretta I found it in a cookbook my mom gave me 35 years ago. I have been making it ever since. My kids love it.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I am making home made noodles tomorrow...but I have to say the apple streudel you were talking about sounds wonderful, too!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
I am making home made noodles tomorrow...but I have to say the apple streudel you were talking about sounds wonderful, too!!!
You'll have to share how your noodles turn out! I'm sure they'll be yummy!

My daughter does alot of canning and she cans her own apple pie filling. I ought to ask for some huh? I know she'd share. I'll have to remember to ask!