Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What apples for an apply crisp?

My favorite apple for baking is Jazz apples. They are super juicy and tastes great. They can be hard to find but if you see them in the store buy some and try them. If there is big regular price difference in apples, don't buy the cheapest type. I don't buy organic fruit if it can be peeled.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

During Christmas I made an apple pie using Granny Smiths, or so I thought. The apple pieces were bland, mushy and didn't hold their shape...very disappointing. I had questioned the produce person in the market at the time I was buying the apples, telling him that they didn't look like the Granny Smiths that I knew. Although they were bright green, they had the 5 points on the bottom, like a Delicious. He assured me that they were, indeed Grannys, so I went ahead and bought them. That was a regret. I should have listened to my instincts.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I like to use a mixture of apples when I make pie of apple crisp. For instance, I will buy one or two Granny Smiths, a Rome, a Jonathan or McIntosh and than a sweet one. For Thanksgiving, I used a Honey Crisp. I just like the subtle differences in the taste of the dessert. Of course, my husband adds vanilla ice cream to his.
    Hahaha! I had never thought to mix apples on purpose. I like it because they all add something different. I am sure I have done it before when running short but on purpose to get the different tastes. Yum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2