Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What can I do with eggplant? >

What can I do with eggplant?

What can I do with eggplant?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom View Post
We like eggplant grilled with zucchini, mushrooms and onions (and sometimes sweet peppers). I cut everything into similar sizes then marinate the vegetables in some low fat Italian salad dressing in a zip lock bag for approximately 30minutes. We grill the vegetables in a grill basket (i.e. stainless steel "bowl" with holes in it) until some of them are a little bit charred. Easy and delicious with just about anything from the grill!
This is my summer favorite.. add left overs to homemade pizza crust and cook on outdoor grill..yummy vegetable pizza.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM

peel and slice....put on wax paper, sprinkle with salt and let sit about 1/2 hour....dip in egg and italian bread crumbs....put in crock pot, cover with spaghetti sauce and motzerella cheese and let go on low for about 3 hours....over spaghetti, wonderful...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I used to not like it, until I figured out I should peel it. Now I peel it, cut into cubes, fry with onions and peppers until it turns dark and soft. Add to spaghetti sauce or pasta. Love it!
I did this over the weekend. I sauteed shallots, garlic and peeled cubed eggplant until soft and almost cooked completely then deglazed the pan with wine and let cook until the alcohol burned off added a can of fire roasted tomatoes and let cook for a minute or two. I then added a jar of marinara sauce(I used Silver Palate). I put a small amount of the sauce in a large casserole dish and then added chicken meatballs and frozen stuffed shells. I poured the rest of my sauce on top, covered the dish with foil and heated in a 375 oven for 35 minutes. I removed the foil, sprinkled with shredded mozzarella and put back in the oven uncovered until the cheese was brown and bubbly. Glenn loved this so much he wanted it for dinner the next day too. Eggplant is a good low calorie high fiber food.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 AM

I never peel eggplant but I do salt the slices to pull out any bitterness. Only takes a few minutes. Then rinse and pat dry. I like it baked (like fried but less calories), parmesan, but I also make a casserole. Dice into 1 inch cubes. Put in bottom of casserole dish. Next layer is ground beef (turkey, sausage, etc.) that has been cooked with onion and garlic. Next a layer of diced tomatoes (prefer fresh but can use diced canned but will have more juice). Bake covered in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 min (until eggplant is soft). Add shredded mozzarella cheese (we like lots and lots and return to oven uncovered until cheese melts. Stir or leave in layers. We love serving this with crusty or sour dough bread for dipping in the juice.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Eggplant & Seafood Casserole

2 eggplants
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 stick butter
1 pound chopped raw shrimp
1 pound crabmeat (lump or claw)
Seasoning to taste
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/ 2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

Boil eggplant in water about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain or set aside

Sauté onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes longer. Add crabmeat and cook for 3 minutes.

Blend in eggplant and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Add seasoning to taste.

Pour into a 2 quart casserole that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Yield: 8 servings
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Yes, I am definitely going to need more eggplants LOL All these sound delish! Thank you so much everyone for posting your favorite eggplant recipes for me

Last edited by BirdyFeathers; 07-29-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Peel, cube boil till tender, add cracker meal and only 1 egg. Shape into patties and fry in very little oil. Slice it thin and use in replace of lasagna noodles, bake or boil and use in Hummus with dill and mint. Just remember that there is very little food value in eggplant and whatever you add to it is what you will get.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Here is another way with eggplant: I peel,cube, then boil it till tender. Cook bacon down, add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery and wilt it. Add ground meat, cook till pink is gone. Add eggplant, but not the water that you boiled it in. I then add a can of gravy with mushrooms or 2 Also add cooked rice to it. It looks like a rice dressing and goes well as a main dish or a side dish. Yummy . Bon a petite ! Hugs
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 AM

Love it fried and eggplant parmesan is out of this world. We have white eggplants this year. Have no idea what they'll be like but plan on frying some for dinner and we're having corn on the cob. Yum.