Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What is on your Thanksgiving menu? >

What is on your Thanksgiving menu?

What is on your Thanksgiving menu?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I brined my turkey breast (12 lbs) for about 18 hrs. so we're having turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet, gravy, homemade cornbread and homemade cranberries. Not a crumb was left and it was just my dh and my son. we were little piggies. the turkey came out super moist and delicious.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 AM

We went to a friend's home and I had spoonbread for the very first time. It was yummy! She cooked mashed sweet potatoes inside half oranges and topped those with marshmallows. Also, she had "Oreo Surprise" for dessert as her family won't eat pie. We took pecan and pumpkin pies along with fresh cranberry sauce. Everything else was traditional. Very nice...lots of everything left over, so she'll have some meals ready made!

Last edited by coopah; 11-28-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 AM

*** Go out to eat.
*** No fuss, No muss, No leftovers.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 AM

We had a group of friends and family, and all of us were doing the cooking in turns, (even DH this year) and had a great time. Dinner was traditional for all of us to remember other thanksgivings spent with loved ones. We had turkey. Dressing, lumpy mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes and pineapple, green bean casserole, corn, cranberries, olives, pickles, rolls, and Martinelli's cider. Pumpkin and apple pies for dessert.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:26 AM
dd

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I brined my turkey breast (12 lbs) for about 18 hrs. so we're having turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet, gravy, homemade cornbread and homemade cranberries. Not a crumb was left and it was just my dh and my son. we were little piggies. the turkey came out super moist and delicious.
what is the benefit of brineing a turkey? Did you make your own brine?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
There will be 4 of us preparing our thanksgiving meal. Turkey, Ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, cranberries, broccoli casserole, corn, seven layer salad,yeast rolls, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Bread, Cranberry Bread and someone almost always ends up bringing something more. serving about 22 people at last count. YUM!
Except for the corn this year, we had exactly the same menu as you did, Jackie. And there were only 9 adults, 3 kids!!! I'm still full!

Jan in VA
Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by dd View Post
what is the benefit of brineing a turkey? Did you make your own brine?
Here a "food scientist" explains how brining can be so beneficial. http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...eat-moist.aspx
(I LOVE this magazine!)
Jan in VA
Old 12-02-2014, 05:08 AM
dd

Since my MIL has been in and out of the hospital a lot lately she said she wasn't going to do dinner this year. I got a 2 yr old turkey out of our freezer that was given to us. Needless to say we don't eat a lot of whole turkeys. I have it all thawed out and she decides she will be able to do Thanksgiving dinner this year. GRRRrrr! Now I have a turkey thawed and nothing to do with it. Mind you we ate turkey at her house on Thanksgiving day, turkey at my parents house on Sunday and now we will have turkey again today but who knows who will or won't show up since everyone but me has to work today. Anyone want to eat turkey again with me? My house, 6:00, bring the wine.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:41 AM

You can refreeze the turkey meat after it is cooked!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 AM
dd

I will probably freeze some of it. At least it's not a really big turkey. It's about 12 lbs. My DIL just loves chicken salad. Although it's not the same, I bet she will eat it made with turkey too. I also plan to make a casserole out of it. I love white chicken chili but not sure it would work as well with turkey. I might try it. At least everyone cooks differently and they aren't exactly alike.